We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cobh - Annie Moore

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Topic
Cobh - Annie Moore

122 Years ago on this date Annie Moore departed from Queenstown (Cobh) in Cork and was the first passenger registered on Ellis Island.

You can have your photo taken with the pretty Annie, when you visit Cobh (County Cork) in 2013.

You're welcome ;-))

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,902 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cobh - Annie Moore

Are you sure about the dates Bryno? If she landed on Ellis Island 'On the first day of January 1892', she was sailing for over a year! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoaJwOkFD7A

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cobh - Annie Moore

My GOD - she must have been starving when she got there !!!!

Sorry if my dates are wrong, I have to admit, I "borrowed" that info from a tweet on Twitter this morning.

Thanks for your correction and the vidjo !!!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cobh - Annie Moore

Brilliant video! Thanks for sharing.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,902 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cobh - Annie Moore

He has the most amazing voice and can interpret a song beautifully.

cork ireland
Level Contributor
141 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cobh - Annie Moore

Annie Moore with her two brothers left Queenstown (now Cobh) ON 20TH DECEMBER 1891 and arrived on Ellis Island and was the first passenger to be registered on Ellis Island If you ever come to Cork City and would like to see The Shandon Steeple and play the famous bells you will also be in the vicinity of where Annie Moore and her brothers lived in No 2 Rowlands Lane off John Redmond St. The is a plaque on the wall If you are travelling from the city centre walk up John Redmond St. Pass the main gate of the Old Norh Infirmary now a Hotel and on keep walking on the right hand side you will come accross a plaque erected last August to Mother Jones and oppossite this is Rowlands Lane and the second house (in lovely condition) is where Annie Moore lived. This is only 7 or 8 minutes walk from St Patricks Bridge. It is also a very historical part of the city with a Beautiful building looking down John Redmond St (Old butter market from which butter was famously exported to the far corners of the world) And also the Firkane Crane in which the butter barrells were made. Then we have the magestic Shandon Steeple to the right with great views from over its 4 clocks And up a little further we have the The St and St Anns Cathedral another magnificant building and there are lots of other interesting things in the area like the longest lane in Cork Mallow Lane starting in Shandon St

Edited: 6:23 am, January 21, 2013
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cobh - Annie Moore

You learn something new everyday - and i just did. thank you

cork ireland
Level Contributor
141 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cobh - Annie Moore

OK nice talking

8. Re: Cobh - Annie Moore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 23, 2014