We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Cork to Surroung Area - Any Suggestions?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
277 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip from Cork to Surroung Area - Any Suggestions?

Hi all! We will be in Cork for two days; one day we'd like to go to Blarney to visit the castle, and then come back and spend the rest of the day in Cork City. Our original plan was to visit Cobh the next day, as I wanted to check out the Titanic Experience. While (most of) the reviews are favorable, it looks a little more touristy than I was thinking; if I'm wrong please let me know! Anyway, now I'm wondering if we should check out other surrounding areas instead. Does anyone have any suggestions? Open to them! Thanks!! :)

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip from Cork to Surroung Area - Any Suggestions?

Will you have a car?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
277 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip from Cork to Surroung Area - Any Suggestions?

Yes, sorry! Forgot to mention that part

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
833 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip from Cork to Surroung Area - Any Suggestions?

Hello. Consider either Youghal(about an hours drive), a very nice town with old town walls and interesting things to see in town and right on the water, Cahir(about an hour and 15 minutes), another very nice town with the great Cahir castle to visit, or Lismore(about an hour and 15 minutes), another very nice town Lismore castle and gardens. But if you only have 2 days for Cork, why not just stay put and discover Cork city? Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Cahir Castle
Cahir Castle
627 Reviews
County Tipperary, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip from Cork to Surroung Area - Any Suggestions?

If you have a car, you can go lots of different and interesting places.You could drive to Gougane Barra,lunch there at the little hotel before walking through the forest park.

http://www.gouganebarra.com/

The area around Ballyvourney is an Irish speaking area/Gaeltacht and the Mills in the village of Ballyvourney has a nice gift shop and is also a good food stop.

Or you could go to east Cork and visit Barryroe castle, the Jameson distillery tour in Midleton is a bit too touristy for my liking but the Farmgate café in the town is worth a stop either for picnic provisions or lunch there.Shanagarry has the Stephen Pearse pottery outlet shop and there is a lovely little Kilkenny design shop nearby. A stroll on the beach at Garryvoe will blow away the cobwebs!

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Cork
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip from Cork to Surroung Area - Any Suggestions?

I'm a huge advocate of west cork you can go as far(gouganbarra) or as near as you like( kinsale) and you ll find beautiful restaurants to eat gorgeous scenery and the drives are wonderful in all weathers! A trip to Baltimore Schull or any of the wonderful sea port towns/villages will not disappoint!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,968 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip from Cork to Surroung Area - Any Suggestions?

Cobh is not touristy, trust me. Kinsale is touristy Cobh is a normal working toun with a few tourist features, easily accessed by car or Train, I have not done the Titanic walking tour but looks like a small group thing, the Museums are reasonable and the Cathedral is one of the best in Ireland. If going by car you might want to check out Fota.

Where are the points Before and After as Beara, Mizen and Sheeps head are the best of the south west's peninsula's and deserve visiting at a relaxed pace.

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,454 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip from Cork to Surroung Area - Any Suggestions?

I would second the recommendation to visit Shanagarry. You could have lunch in Ballymaloe and then as Harvey mentions, stroll along the beach at Garryvoe and drive to the beautiful fishing village of Ballycotton and take a walk along the cliffs there.

www.ballycotton.com/leisure_walking.htm

Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip from Cork to Surroung Area - Any Suggestions?

Hi there! It sounds like you've had some great suggestions on the beautiful coastal roads of West Cork!

The Titanic Experience in Cobh is located in the old ticketing offices of the White Star Line, which adds authenticity to the attraction, and focuses on the lives of the 132 passengers who boarded the Titanic from Cobh. If you've any interest in Titanic history, this centennary year would make the perfect excuse for a visit!

Less than 5 minutes walk from the Titanic Experience is the Cobh Heritage Centre, located within the Cobh train station. There is more historical information on the Titanic contained within this museum and a wealth of display focusing on the 3 million emigrants who left Ireland via Cobh for lands unknown. The influence of Cobh as a portal, both entering and leaving Ireland, make it a fantastic place for a visit. If you're there for lunch check out Trade Winds or Gilbert's for brilliant atmosphere and seafood! Depending on the time of year as well you could take a short boat ride out to Spike Island, Ireland's Alcatraz. This is an up and coming attraction and would be well worth a stop over if the tour is available.

Kinsale is a very popular spot to check out but it is also extremely beautiful and home to some of the best restaurants in the world, named Ireland's Food Captial. It's just 30 minutes drive from Cork City and could be visited on the same day as Cobh as it's less than an hour from there.

Also mentioned was Fota Island Wildlife Park and Resort which is a very unique attraction as it's not everyday you see monkeys and giraffe's in the countrysides of Ireland!

Blarney Castle and Gardens are beautiful! If you have a chance to arrive in the morning (opens 9am), it could feel like you have the place to yourself!

Also, I can see by your name you like a beach, so you may want to check out some of the sandy beaches of Cork! Nearby to Kinsale (40 minutes from Cork City) is Garretstown Beach. Along the drive are stunning farmlands and coastal vistas. It's well worth the dander.

Have a great time in Cork and be sure to check out the hop-on hop-off bus in the city! You can get around easily by foot but you can visit the highlights such as ringing the Shandon Bells, visiting Cork City Gaol, and sampling delights at the English Markets with comfortable transport and informative audio.

I hope your visit is everything you're hoping for and more!

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Cobh Heritage Centre
Cobh Heritage Centre
877 Reviews
Cobh, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Spike Island
Spike Island
1,039 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Blarney Castle & Gardens
Blarney Castle & Gardens
5,808 Reviews
Blarney, Ireland
Cork City Gaol
Cork City Gaol
1,417 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
9. Re: Day Trip from Cork to Surroung Area - Any Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, December 15, 2013