We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dingle to Dublin - stopover in Abbeyleix?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dingle to Dublin - stopover in Abbeyleix?

Still trying to plan to see everything in a six day trip to Ireland! Only joking, I know that is completely unrealistic. This is tentative plan at moment:

Day 1 - Dublin and overnight

Day 2 - Kilkenny via Glendaough and Rock of Cashel

Day 3 & 4 Kenmare -

Day 5 - Dingle

Day 6 -overnight at Abbeyleix on way back to Dublin

Day 7 - fly out of Dublin

Does this sound reasonable - especially not sure about the DIngle to Dublin trip? I know it is too far to be done comfortably in one day. Would Abbeyleix be a good -place to stopover? We fly out of Dublin mid afternoon on day 7. I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks guys!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,653 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dingle to Dublin - stopover in Abbeyleix?

The Dingle to Dublin trip can be done in about 5 hours (213Miles / 345Km )with no stops. That is very doable. However if you really do want to stop off that is not a problem.

As you will be 75% of your way to Dublin by the time you get near Abbeyleix, I would not think that it makes sense to overnight there, unless you have a specific reason to visit Abbeyleix.

What you might prefer to do is choose somewhere interesting on route to stop for an hour and have a break, something to eat.

Let us know if you need help with that.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dingle to Dublin - stopover in Abbeyleix?

I agree with Bryno. Abbeyleix has a wonderful old style pub called Morriseys but not much else to do. Personally I'd press on to Dublin or spend an extra night in Dingle

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dingle to Dublin - stopover in Abbeyleix?

I guess I was just concerned that if we were held up by traffic we might miss our flight. Maybe we should push on through to Dublin and spend the night there instead of Abbeyleix. Then again an extra night in Dingle would be great as it sounds like the kind of place we would love and there is so much to do and see! It might be worth an early start just to make the most of our time in the south west. I appreciate your input!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,653 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dingle to Dublin - stopover in Abbeyleix?

I agree with the extra night in Dingle. The chances of getting badly held up in traffic are slim these days.

What day/time of day is your flight?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dingle to Dublin - stopover in Abbeyleix?

3pm. Even better is that I miscalculated and now realise I have an extra night! But we would also love to see some of county Cork. Would it be possible to explore from either our base in Kenmare or Dingle or do you think we should try and substitute one of these with a night in Kinsale or similar?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dingle to Dublin - stopover in Abbeyleix?

The south western peninsulas, Beara, Shieep's Head and Mizen are doable from Kenmare. it takes the best part of an hour to get off the Dingle Peninsula from Dingle town, so it is not an ideal base for touring other parts of the south west.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,653 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dingle to Dublin - stopover in Abbeyleix?

Absolutely - Kenmare borders both County Kerry and County Cork, indeed the start of the Beara Peninsula (which is in County Cork) loop is only a mile from Kenmare town !!

Sheeps head peninsula, already mentioned is a must see area when in County Cork if you have the time for it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dingle to Dublin - stopover in Abbeyleix?

Thanks all for the advice - it is much appreciated and we'll let you know how it all goes!

9. Re: Dingle to Dublin - stopover in Abbeyleix?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 27, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cork