We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting aound

edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
getting aound

We are visiting in August, staying in the city but would like to do some trips. We will not have a car, how easy it using public transport ?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting aound

It depends where you want to go, but there are a good range of bus and train services from the bus station at Parnell Place (city centre) and the Kent Rail station which is 10 mins walk from City centre.

Using public transport is easy. You pay for your bus trip on the buses - change given and you pay for your train trips at the ticket office in the station.

Typical trips could be:

Cobh by train. A lovely 20 minute train ride to this very historic harbour town with lots to see there.

Fota House Gardens and Wildlife park, same train as above and only 15 minute trip

Blarney Castle - 25 minute bus trip

Midleton Distillery

25 minute train ride or I believe there is also a bus to Midleton

Killarney - 90 minute train ride (bus also available every hour)

Blackrock Castle, can be visited on the HOHO bus or you can get the number 202 to Blackrock village and walk 10 mins to the Blackrock Castle Observatory.

All other cities and towns are serviced by public transport from Cork. Be aware however, that some smaller towns and villages may not be.

Any of the city sights are easily walkable and no need for public transport really.

The Cork City Gaol is about a mile from city centre (the furthest sight) and is best walked or use the HOHO bus which stops right at the Gaol.

So you see, lots to do by public transport.

If you let me know how many days you will be here for in August, I can give you a sample itinerary.

edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting aound

Thanks for the reply and excellent feedback. We plan on being there from August 3rd for three days then head to Dublin by train for 2 days.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting aound

Very nice for you.

So here is a sample itinerary:

Day 1. Cork city walking tour followed by trip to Blarney castle

Day 2: Cobh - Visit the Cathedral, the Queenstown story, Titanic experience, Spike Island or just do a guided walking tour with www.titanic-trail.com

Day 3. Midleton Distillery, followed by Fota House and gardens (free) and if interested in wildife then fota Wildlife park is a must. If you don't want to visit Fota on day 3, just come back to cork and take the HOHO.

Places that are a must to see in Cork City.

St Finbarres Cathedral - guided tour if required by appointment.

Cork City Gaol

The grounds of UCC and the Glucksman Gallery on site.

The Crawford Art Gallery - Emmet Place

Shandon Church (great views from the tower)

Elizabeth Fort (Free), nice city views from the battlements

Blackrock Castle Observatory (if no interest in the cosmos, then probably better skip this one)

Come back if any questions

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting aound

Bryno: I've looked on the HoHo bus website and don't see any for Cork. Could you tell me what company it is? I'll be taking a train tour from Dublin to Cork which has a bus meet us to take us to Blarney Castle and then back to Cork. We can take the train back to Dublin any time we want. I want to go to St. Finbar's as my local parish growing up in NYC was St. Finbar. Thought I'd go to the City Gaol too. HoHo bus sounds good too. Thanks.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting aound

Sushi,

Here you go - link to to the HOHO

http://corkcitytour.com/

You can do St Finbarres Cathedral and the Cork city Gaol on foot if you wish. No need for bus. St Finbarres is about 20 minute walk from the bus station and then Cork City Gaol is about 20 mins walk from St Finbarres. Another 25 min walk then from the Gaol to the Train station.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting aound

Thanks Bryno. That's about an hour's time walking total. Want to save my time as I do have to meet up with people for dinner in Dublin ;-). Thought the HoHo would be good to see the rest of Cork with commentary too.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting aound

Yes, HOHO would be perfect for that.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting aound

Another question Bruno, as I leave in a couple of weeks. I'm looking at the map and list of stops on the HoHo and can't figure out which stop is closest to get off for St. Fin Barre's and also which one for the train station. Thanks!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting aound

Sushi.

Apologies for delay in replying, I have been away.

The Red tour map will mention 'Kent Station' and 'St Finbarres Cathedral' These are the two stops that you will need. Kent station is the only train station in Cork City and there is only one St Finbarres Cathedral.

Note: It would appear that the 'Blue Tour bus' is no longer working,but this will not affect you.

Edited: 3:42 pm, September 11, 2012
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting aound

Thanks Bryno!!!!