We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
moraira
Destination Expert
for Moraira
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
where to go

Hi,

I have posted before but think on the wrong forum.

We have never been to Ireland before and are thinking of coming at the end of September. Can anyone suggest the best place, we like quiet, but also plenty of bars and restaurants, views of the sea or water.

There is only myself and my husband. Cork looks good on the internet, but am getting more confused the more I look. We will be flying from Spain, so will need a car as well.

Thankyou

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go

" Can anyone suggest the best place"

Cork of course ;-))

If you can fly to Cork airport you can rent a car there, (there are at least 5 car rental companies right at the airport). Then you have the options of the depths of stunning West Cork and County Kerry within a two hour drive.

There are numerous places in West Cork and County Kerry that tick these boxes "we like quiet, but also plenty of bars and restaurants, views of the sea or water."

It would be good to know what your main interests are: (shopping, hiking, biking, watersports, history, etc etc)

Let us know and we can help further.

How many days in Ireland will you have (excluding arrival and departure days)?

moraira
Destination Expert
for Moraira
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go

Hi

Thanks for that. At the moment I cannot do much walking having had an operation on my knee.

We do like to relax, but also wonder around the shops.

I won't be cooking so a choice of pubs with food or restaurants nearby would be good.

Probably look for a cottage, but in a location near to amenties.

If you could point us in the right direction would very much apprciate it.

Things like, how far from the airport etc.

Thank you.

Gail

cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
63 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go

probably pick one of the following

kerry

Killarney - not so quiet biggish town. lots to see and do. Very touristy but lovely area

Dingle small town not so much shops but beautiful area

In Cork

Kinsale - Lots of restraunts pubs and shops. Lovely town but not quiet as stunning area as other choices,

Clonakilty - Lovely town not as touristy as other areas but with lots of lovely areas nearby

Killarney would have liveliest nightlife, others I think have nicer restraunts

moraira
Destination Expert
for Moraira
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go

Hi

Thanks for that,

We have gone for Lanzarote instead. i know bit of a difference, but dont't want to be rained in,

Thank you, and am sure will get to Ireland sometime.

5. Re: where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, June 25, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cork