We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing in Cork - 1-2 days?

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Sightseeing in Cork - 1-2 days?

I want a mini sightseeing of Cork. I'm coming alone from UK and will be going to other places as well so only have a max of 2 days for Cork. What are some of the 'must' see things in Cork? I'm more of a 'i've been there and seen that and here's my pic' guy rather than 'sit in the museum/learn things/history' guy!

which places would be great for me? also the same for Dublin if you could suggest please? thanks x

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing in Cork - 1-2 days?

Silents,

I am assuming you will not have a car. If that is not the case, let me know.

Best thing to do on day one in Cork city is to take the HOHO bus. There are a number of stops but the best place to go for it is to the Grand Parade, where the HOHO originates and it also happens to be just across the road from the main Cork tourist office, so I recommend that you go in there first, get a free A3 map of the city, ask a few questions, pick up a few leaflets and off you go. Here are some ideas for you.

tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g186600-s407/Cork:Irel…

If you want to go it alone, here is a guide for your own whistlestop Walking tour.

tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g186600-c3495/Cork:Ire…

For trad Irish music in Cork City, this link will help.

tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g186600-c4976/Cork:Ire…

On day two you should take a bus or a train and explore outside of the city.

Possible options are:

Blarney Castle (25 mins bus journey)

Cobh (home to Queenstown story, www.titanic-trail.com , Titanic Experience, Spike Island and St Colmans Cathedral) Cobh is a 20 minute train trip from Cork.

Jameson Distillery at Midleton. Midleton is a 20 minute train trip from Cork.

Kinsale www.kinsale.ie Kinsale is a harbour/fishing town about 16 miles south of Cork City. Bus journey takes 50 minutes. There is a good tourist info office in Kinsale town.

Alternatively, on day two, you can take the second of two HOHO buses (if you have not already done so), this one is called 'Outer Limits' and includes Blackrock Castle Observatory on it's route.

Come back if any of the above interests you and I can give you more detail.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing in Cork - 1-2 days?

Hi,

There is a great day tour of Kinsale, Cobh and finally Blarney with the company Paddywagons for E27 and it starts at the tourist office on Grand Parade at 11 am each morning and arrives back about 5.30 in the evening. This has got to be good value as doing the destinations individually could be more expensive by public transport and your time is used more efficiently. Probably the one downside you only get about 2 hours in each destination.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing in Cork - 1-2 days?

Thanks Rossalady. That is definitely a good option for anyone wanting the 'grand tour' in a limited amount of time.

Blarney Castle and Blarney woolen mills are doable in 2 hours.

Cobh Heritage Centre, The Cathedral and the Titanic Experience are all doable in 2 hours. (just about)

Kinsale town is doable in two hours but the walk out and back to Charlesfort is not. Having said that, the Paddywagon tour will probably pull in at Charlesfort anyway.

Be aware that there are seperate charges for all of the above. The only freebie is St Colmans Cathedral - Cobh and Blarney Woolen Mills (essentially a large, but good Irish souvenir + gift + clothing shop.

4. Re: Sightseeing in Cork - 1-2 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 19, 2013