We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cork in September

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richboro, PA
Level Contributor
214 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cork in September

Hello,

My husband will be attending a conference in Cork in September of this year and I am considering joining him for a few days and would like some suggestions as what to do and see. We most likely will have 4 full days to spend exploring and don't have a clue where to go and what to see. My only 2 thoughts right now are the Waterford factory and I'd love to visit a castle. Any suggetions or itineraries would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cork in September

Bump

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cork in September

Have you your accommodation sorted out yet?

That is important as to what you can and cannot do.

Will you be staying in Cork City?

Will you have a car?

If you have 4 days to spend exploring I would spend two nights in West Cork or County Kerry - beautiful, and not the 4 nights in Cork City.

Waterford Glass is a 2 hour journey from Cork and yes the Waterford Glass factory is definitely worth a visit, I've done it and enjoyed it very much. Waterford city is nice.

The only castle I can (should) recommend to you is of course Blarney Castle, (20 minute drive or bus from Cork City) of course there are castles in other counties too including Limerick which is 90 minute drive from Cork (Bunratty Castle - very nice)

If you reply to the questions at the beginning of this post, I can be more specific.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cork in September

Sorry, bkrusen, I meant to answer this rather than just bumping your post back to page 1. Will you have a car for the 4 days? I would recommend renting one.

You could go to Blarney Castle and kiss the stone (brrr...). You could also go to Kinsale just south of Cork and do trips into West Cork, over to Clonakilty (lovely town), Skibbereen, Castletownshend (beautiful village), drive along the coast to Toe Head and over to Schull and further down to Baltimore. You could also do a day trip to Kerry and (if you don't mind driving and getting up early) tour the Ring of Kerry. You can go to see the Rock of Cashel, taking in the Glen of Aherlow, or visit Cahir castle. Cork is a great place, make sure to get to the English Market (an indoor market). There is also very good shopping. I don't think you'll be bored!

Richboro, PA
Level Contributor
214 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cork in September

I realized after I posted that I should have given more information. If all works out I will arrive in Cork on Sept. 19 and leave from Cork on Sept. 24, The 19th is the last day of my husband's conference so I assume we will stay in Cork at the hotel he's been staying at that night. September 20, 21, 22, 23 are open. We haven't made any arrangements yet and are open to all suggestions. We will most likely be renting a car so we can have the most freedom, we don't like bus tours full of tourists with name tags! We don't need to stay in Cork everynight but would need to stay there on the 23rd since we will fly home on the 24th. So that leaves 3 nights to spend some where else. I'd love to see the beautiful country side, quaint villages, a castle, churches, forts, anything of interest that you could suggest. Thank you very much for your help!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cork in September

Well, if you have 3 nights you can easily go to Killarney or Kenmare for 2 nights and tour the Ring of Kerry. On the last day you could go to Gougane Barra and on to Schull in West Cork and stay overnight. It's a leisurely drive back to Cork for your last night from there.

Richboro, PA
Level Contributor
214 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cork in September

bump

Get answers to your questions about Cork