We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week-long trip based in Cork

Stillwater...
3 posts
Save Topic
Week-long trip based in Cork

I am a 20 year old female student planning a trip to Cork to visit a friend who is studying abroad. I will fly into Dublin on March 3rd and fly out on March 11. I plan on spending 1 or 2 days in Dublin including the night before my departure. During my stay I plan on making trips out of Cork by bus or train to various sites, possibly alone. I would like to keep the trips to a single day because I have free lodging in Cork. With the limited time and money that I have as a college student I am wondering which towns/castles/ruins would be worth it for me to visit as well as any advice for a someone traveling alone for the first time. I am also finding myself confused with train and bus websites so any advice there would be welcome, is it better to buy a pass or buy each ticket as I go?

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Week-long trip based in Cork

Cork city has excellent public transportation. You can easily visit Cobh by train. It is the end of the line and the heritage center is right by the train station. It's a nice half day trip. You can take the train to Killarney but the bus has better schedules. I think the main bus station in Cork city is Parnell Place. The schedules don't go out over a month in advance from what I recall but put in bogus dates to understand the schedule. Weekdays, Saturdays, and Sundays will have different schedules. The Buseireann server was down just now so I couldn't test it but it appears they have improved their website. Plan Your Journey will prompt you for specific stops so you will need to work with a map or Google Maps to gain an understanding of your connections. It uses the 24 hour clock and the european date format but a pop-up calendar will help you select your choice. The buses are a breeze and you will find the locals very helpful. I don't think I'd worry much about passes just buy a ticket as you go. A return ticket means you get passage back as well and is more economical. That should get you started. There are plenty of other destinations from Cork city by public transportation and much to do in Cork city itself.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Stillwater...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Week-long trip based in Cork

Thank you!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,858 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week-long trip based in Cork

Am I correct in estimating that your time in cork will be 5 days?

You will be here 11 days but two of those are travelling days, two are in Dublin, so 5 in Cork??

Let me know and I will get you an itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Stillwater...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Week-long trip based in Cork

I will arrive in Dublin on Sunday morning, the 4th, and I plan on visiting Cashel on my way to Cork. I then have Mon-Wed to make trips by myself during the daytime and will be seeing Cork city at night with my friends. So far the plan is to leave Cork on Thursday morning to visit either Kerry or Galway and then head over to Dublin Friday afternoon to spend a day and a half there. I leave on Sunday morning, the 11th.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
5. Re: Week-long trip based in Cork

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, February 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cork