We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Pubs & Clubs

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Re: Pubs & Clubs

Hi.

I will be bringing a group of Males (aged 18 to 60 ) over to Cork and will be staying on the Western Rd in April, could someone advise me please about entrance to Pubs & Clubs in the area,Dress code etc,for most of them it will be their 1st visit to Ireland so I want them to enjoy it without any problems. Thanks

Nebo

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Pubs & Clubs

Pubs are not a problem. Just walk in !!! There are loads of them here, if you let me know what kinds of pubs you like I could be more specific. Dress code for pubs can be anything really !!!!

Clubs may be a problem. The bouncers defy all reasoning and are a law unto themselves. They will be very wary of groups of males especially. There are other posters here who will be more expert than I on the Club scene, but in a nutshell if you try to get in as a group you may be stopped from getting in, similarly if you try to get in, in twos. They tend to be less choosy mid week when they are not as busy.

I have no idea what the dress code for clubs is, it seems to change depending on the humour of the bouncer(s).

Here follows two posts from last April re Clubs/Bouncers etc the first is very negative while the second is not, which goes to show that different groups can have VERY DIFFERENT experiences. If you want to see the full discussion at the time look for a post called Cork ! I wouldn’t bother again. It was posted by 00jamie00 on 15th March 2005

“Me and a few friends visited Cork over the weekend to get away from work and relax , enjoy the scenery , watch the rugby of course and go out to sample the Cork nightlife.

What we found was that the bouncers on 99% of the bars / clubs would not let us in!!

And the reason for this????? None given! We were not drunk , all well dressed trousers , polished shoes and shirts , and all had Plenty of money to spend!

We stood by Scotts after being told " Not tonight lads " and started to see a patern !

IF YOU WERE ENGLISH THEN YOU WERE NOT GETTING IN!

It wasn't that they were not letting in groups of guys ( we were only 4 ) cause they would let in 8 - 10 drunk irish lads at once. Yet not 4 sober english ones!

And this from the City of Culture.

We had to resort to spending the two nights in the hotel bar.

We did however have no problem getting in pubs to eat / watch the rugby during the days , and I must say the atmosphere was great , bar staff very freindly!!!

Its just that corks doorman let the City down!”

“I visited Cork this weekend with 10 other English lads and one jock on a stag do.

No bother at all once again and nothing but helpful, friendly and humerous bar staff. Well done Cork! This problem occurs in any town and city wherever you are, you just have to go in small groups and keep your mouth shut. Yeah some of our number were rejected but to be fair they had taken a litle too much on board!!!

I will be going back as I would like to see more of Cork than inside a few pubs”

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Pubs & Clubs

Here are three Trad Irish music venues for you to visit on your trip to Cork. They are nice trad bars with an ‘electric’ atmosphere when there is a gig on. They will get very full quickly on gig nights, so if you want something resembling a seat you will want to be there early. There may be a cover charge at the door but that depends on what artist is in session.

The Gables bar on Wednesday and Sunday evenings, this is located at Douglas Street (about 10 minutes walk from City Hall – no bus to the door so I would recommend a taxi if you don't want to walk) At first glance Douglas Street might look a bit dodgy but it's not at all it's just an older area of the city.

The Corner house on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings (BlueGrass on Monday evening) located at Bridge Street, two minutes from Patricks Bridge which is City Centre.

The Lobby Bar on Friday evenings and Sunday Afternoon, located at Anglesea Street, just across the road from the City Hall and very close to the City Centre.

All great and popular venues and from any of these you will get further details of other gigs taking place at other venues. Go in during the day or early before a gig if you want to get some information from the bar staff.

All of these are my favourite, but if i HAD TO VOTE for them I would put them in the following order:

Gables

The Lobby Bar

The Corner House.

ENJOY the TRAD and before you travel here check out this site www.whazon.com for CORK and then click on NIGHTS OUT and then TRADITIONAL IRISH

Also look at www.cork-guide.ie

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: Pubs & Clubs

Hi Nebo,

There are a few posts about going out in Cork and yes i have read the bad ones as well but things aren't as bad as they look.

I go out in Cork at least ones a week with people from all over the world,incl.English and bouncers do sometimes rather let drunken irish, polish, french or japanese in before the let in the well dressed,good looking and always charming English.

Unfortunatly this will never change.

The problem only starts if something like this happends when somebody gets refused and they start making a big fuss about it.

Almost all the bouncers in cork work for the same company,you make trouble they tell all there colleuges before you even start walking to the next dissapointment.

Going out in cork is very relaxed and only a few of the many bouncers have this "sad" refuse policy.

As Bryno already said, put on your nice clothes (no sportswear what so ever),bring the right aditude and walk op to the bouncers in small groups.

During the weekend also the pubs have bouncers and so I.D is requierd at all times and all ages.

Some clubs change there age limit depending on how busy they are.

Havana's and the Bailey are 2 pubs/ clubs wich do strictly over 21's.

Blu Bambu and Cubins (clubs)normaly do over 18's untill they get busy.

The traditional music pubs Bryno mentioned will all do over 18's.

As westernrd. is about 20 minutes walk from the Courthouse(where most of the Clubs are) it might be an idea to walk back after your night as waiting times for taxis are insane during weekends.

I hope you all have a good weekend and please let us know how you all got on.

Goliat