We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishy Fishy in Kinsale

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Fishy Fishy in Kinsale

Friends from US have been talking quite a lot about this restuarant, Fishy Fishy. They seem to think it may be be closed or under new ownership. Would appreciate any information ....reviews, opening times, etc.

We'll be in the Cork area the last week of February. Thanks !

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,372 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishy Fishy in Kinsale

LuvlyMom, I know nothing about Fishy Fishy other than what I just read on the web. (Someone recommended it on TA a few months ago, but I can't find the post)

It seems to be a small restaurant 20 + 16 seats outside. They don't serve meat, only fish, and they don't take bookings.

It gets good reviews on the web however when I attempted to phone there just now 42774453 it just rang out. Now there's something fishy about that. There was one ref on the web to the fact that Fishy Fishy is moving to a new location - even fishier !!

Anyway there are lots of restaurants in Kinsale, so I would just go there anyway, walk around, and if you don't find Fishy Fishy, go somewhere else.

Did your lil darlin' get Marys flowers?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishy Fishy in Kinsale

Bryno,

Thanks for your reply about Fishy, Fishy.

There are many restaurants to choose from there, which is why I like to get some recommendation. At Christmas, we dined at Jim Edwards and Man Fridays....and enjoyed the meals very much.

The flowers from Rainbow Florists in Cork were a real hit. My daughter tells me they were a beautiful arrangement. When I'm in Cork, I will hope to stop in the shop to have a look around, meet Mary and thank her for her wonderful service.

So Bryno, chalk her up for future reference should you have any other inquiry for a local florist. Happy customers are the best advertisiment a business can have:)

Thanks again

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishy Fishy in Kinsale

Bryno,

Would appreciate it if you might comment and make suggestions on plans I have for upcoming visit. I am traveling across with 3 childhood friends and it will be the first visit for 2 of them and one has only been there 16 years ago. They are counting on me to take into acccount places they have read about and plan for a somewhat relaxed stay, yet one that will give them an overview of the country.

We arrive in Shannon on Sat AM and will drive to Holycross, Tipperary. ( Why ??? we're staying with family) The remainder of the day will be free to get adjusted. With this as our base, one day we will take the train to Dublin, another we will drive to Kilkenny. So now we have the midlands.....a medieval town and a large city. One day we will just mooch around locally taking in the Rock of Cashel and maybe Farney Castle.

Then it's on to the Cork area. Here we will base at Jury's . I have stayed there before and found it acceptable for price and convenience to the city centre and day trips. Planning a day to Kinsale and Cobh and another day to be spent shopping in Patrick's St and at Blarney woolen Mills.

The ladies really wanted to see the Cliffs or do the Ring of Kerry....but I think it would just be too much. Of course, they assume I am kidding when I say we would be run ragged if we were to add that to our plans...if we could even squeeze it in. That brings me to ask......can you suggest a drive from Cork that would take us on a scenic drive with breathtaking views ...near the water? Something that might replace those destinations? Skibbereen or Clonakilty?

I understand their eagerness to see it all, as I was once a first time visitor, but there's so much to see....you just need to keep returning.

My daughter will join us along the way, when her univeristy schedule allows, and I expect she will have favorite places to entertain us in Cork.

Thanks for all that you do Bryno.

Cork
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishy Fishy in Kinsale

Fishy Fishy is still open and still under the same ownership and still fantastic! They are going to be moving premises soon but not sure when exactly (they told me.....I forgot!). Bryno's correct that they dont take bookings so best to get there early or join the queue. They dont take credit or debit cards so make sure you bring cash. If you like your fish, it's well well worth it although I am told their chicken salad is to die for.

Cork
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishy Fishy in Kinsale

Oh, one more thing, they only open during the day. Not at night time.

Cork
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishy Fishy in Kinsale

Bryno, this is their number 4774453

Ireland
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishy Fishy in Kinsale

Defintely the best restaurant in town....get there at 12 or just before to get the first sitting, else expect to wait 45 mins....ok if the sun is shining and you can have your bottle of vino outside, of not, forget it or bring the umbrella - ist worth the wait..

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,372 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishy Fishy in Kinsale

So Marie I had the wrong number for Fishy Fishy, thanks for clarification. Glad to hear it's still open.

Luvlymom, will get back to you as soon as I have read your epic post.

Cork
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishy Fishy in Kinsale

No bother, Bryno :-)

Now......Dear Martin & Marie (owners of Fishy Fishy),How's about a free lunch for Friendly and me????! I know, I know, there's no such thing!