We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport / Amenities

Switzerland
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public Transport / Amenities

I will be staying in Cork on business for around 6 weeks in April/May and was hoping to get some local help before I come as there don't seem to be so many great Cork guide books around.

I will be staying at one of the townhouses at Rochestown Park hotel - which leads to my first question - I've read lots of details about the hotel itself but nothing about the townhouses - does anybody know what they are like/stayed there before? Are they one or two bedroomed? I haven't been able to locate any of this information on their website.

Secondly - local amenities. I have heard that there is a large shopping centre with Dunnes Stores etc just around the corner in Cork - can anyone tell me the actual address so that I could do a route planner from the hotel to the shopping centre (will have a company car for some of the time).

Finally - for those days when I don't have access to the car, how is public transport in Cork? It doesn't seem to be that great from what i have seen, but then coming from Switzerland i am a little spoilt in this respect. Is it possible/easy to get in to the centre of Cork and Douglas by bus from Rochestown Park?

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Ressie

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Douglas
Douglas
Isle of Man, UK
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport / Amenities

Ressie,

I know about the townhouses, but have never seen them? If you are very serious about it, I am willing to go to Rochestown park as I live near enough to it and have a look for you. I have done this for other posters previously.

One advantage of R.Park is that it has a nice leisure centre. Do you know whether your stay will allow you to use the L.Centre? If you like swimming and using a gym then make sure you know about this before you travel.

Dunnes is located at the Douglas Court Shopping Centre, and yes, it is just around the corner, only about 5 minute safe walk. There is also a cinema complex there for those long nights, and a further 3 minute walk will take you to Douglas village where there is a large (ish) Tesco and lots of shops and restaurants so you will be spoiled for choice. There are some very nice bars within walking distance of R.Park hotel, ranging from 'local' to fairly cosmopolitan.

There is not a regular bus service from outside the hotel to the city, but there is a regular service (no. 7) from Douglas village to city centre. Cost about €2 per journey. I would say at most a 10 min walk to the nearest bus stop from your hotel which is fine in good weather, but not so good when it rains!!

You are spoiled with your transport system in Switzerland, but the bus service in Cork is quite adequate for your needs.

You are lucky to have a car for part of your stay, and if you get time be sure and get out into the countryside which you will enjoy very much.

If you need any more info let me know and if you want me to do a reccy to Rochestown Park townhouses, mail me at brynoadvisor@yahoo.ie

Mentioned in this post
Douglas
Douglas
Isle of Man, UK
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Switzerland
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport / Amenities

Thanks Bryno. Your information about Cork will be really helpful.

Glad to hear that it's only a short walk to Dunnes and Douglas city centre.

Yes, I will be lucky enough to use the leisure facilities - that's if i'll feel up to it after a hard days work. The tip about the Cinema is very good aswell, particularly for guests who will have to amuse themselves while I'm at work.

About the reccy - thanks for the offer, I may come back to it in future. I should be able to hook up with a future work colleague of mine, who is just about to get back, so i'll probably check out with her first. But i'll note the email address just in case.

I'm also pleased to hear that the buses are not as bad as I feared.

Regards

Ressie

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Douglas
Douglas
Isle of Man, UK
Switzerland
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport / Amenities

Thanks Bryno. Your information about Cork will be really helpful.

Glad to hear that it's only a short walk to Dunnes and Douglas city centre.

Yes, I will be lucky enough to use the leisure facilities - that's if i'll feel up to it after a hard days work. The tip about the Cinema is very good aswell, particularly for guests who will have to amuse themselves while I'm at work.

About the reccy - thanks for the offer, I may come back to it in future. I should be able to hook up with a future work colleague of mine, who is just about to get back, so i'll probably check out with her first. But i'll note the email address just in case.

I'm also pleased to hear that the buses are not as bad as I feared.

Regards

Ressie

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Douglas
Douglas
Isle of Man, UK
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport / Amenities

Meant to tell you about www.buseireann.ie for all cork bus service timetables.

Also have a look at http://www.cork-guide.ie/ for general Cork info.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland