We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blarney/Cork/Kinsale to Kenmare/Killarney Best Driving Route

NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Topic
Blarney/Cork/Kinsale to Kenmare/Killarney Best Driving Route

I'm planning on driving to Kenmare/Killarney (staying in Kenmare) from Kinsale. (at least this is the current plan). Looking at the map, I realized that there two routes I can take to get to Kenmare.

Any suggestions for a good drive (scenic perhaps)? I don't even know how long the trip would take. Nevertheless, if I should drive directly to Kenmare, please let me know as well. I don't really know what to expect.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blarney/Cork/Kinsale to Kenmare/Killarney Best Driving Route

You should take the scenic route (leave early!) via Clonakilty, Skibbereen, Bantry, Glengarriff, Kenmare. I hope you'll get a nice day for it because particularly the bit between Bantry and Kenmare is just spectacular!

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blarney/Cork/Kinsale to Kenmare/Killarney Best Driving Route

wwa.aaroadwatch.ie will give you an estimate of times & distances !

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blarney/Cork/Kinsale to Kenmare/Killarney Best Driving Route

nutsnbolts

There's a lovely route from Kinsale to Kenmare that will take you along the south coast of Cork through pretty towns and villages (Timoleague, Clonakilty, Glandore and Leap) and then via Bantry and Glengarriff, and over the Caha Mountains. You basically follow 2 roads: the R600 and N71

There are many places of interest along this route; here are some that I've enjoyed visiting:

Timoleague:

www.timoleague.ie/timoleague_abbey.html

just outside Ross Carbery there is a left-hand turn to Glandore (R597). Turn here if you wish to visit Drombeg Stone Circle;

http://www.megalithicireland.com/Drombeg.htm

It lies hidden away down a country lane, and is one of the easiest stone circles to visit. It also has the added interest of a "fulacht fia" - full details on the above-mentioned site.

You can rejoin the N71 after driving through Glandore, then continue through Skibbereen, which has a heritage centre and small museum about the Famine. Just outside Skibbereen you will pass Abbeystrewery where there is a moving memorial to victims of the Famine:

http://www.skibbheritage.com/

Just before you arrive in Bantry you will find Bantry House on your right-hand side, but unfortunately it is closed to visitors until the middle of March.

This route is about 145km and should take 3hrs non-stop, so factor in a couple of hours for stops along the way.

Your alternative is to drive via Inishannon and Bandon to Macroom. Just before Macroom is the turning (left) to beautiful Gougane Barra Forest Park (R584):

http://www.gougane.cork2020.com

Instead of retracing your route to Macroom, you could turn right when leaving the Park onto the R584 which will take you through the Pass of Keighmaneigh and on to Ballylickey. Turn right onto the N71 which will take you over the Caha Mountains and down into Kenmare.

So, the first route takes you through pretty towns and village and along the coast (part of the way), and the 2nd route takes you inland to a forest park and through quite spectacular mountain (think low: I'm not describing Alpine scenery here !) and hilly scenery.

:0-)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blarney/Cork/Kinsale to Kenmare/Killarney Best Driving Route

Wonderfully detailled info from SarniaGirl and just as well that Mary included the website for aa.roadwatch because I forgot to do this...

The routes on aaroadwatch are accurate but the driving times should really be taken with a large pinch of salt because they don't take road works or herds of sheep or cows on the roads into account.

5. Re: Blarney/Cork/Kinsale to Kenmare/Killarney Best Driving Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Cork