We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

What might be the proper etiquette in regards to tipping

at breakfast at Bed and Breakfast establishment ?

Have never been to a B&B and would like to budget appropriately. Thank you

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
368 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

No! I don't think you should tip at any B&B - you're a guest in their home. When we went - we brought a small gift for each B&B owner - gourmet chocolate from Ghiradelli - and wonderful California chocolate producer.

If you're thinking of doing something - I'd recommend something like this. We simply presented it to the owner upon checkout - and all seemed quite gracious in accepting.

Your experience may vary . . .

Fort Worth Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

Generally in a B&B the owners will be serving you breakfast, so no need to tip. They might have "hired help" cleaning your room, however. If so I'd recommend 1-2 euros per day for that.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

Quite simply put: you don't tip. And certainly not for being served breakfast. This is all part of the service.

There are plenty of threads dealing with tipping etiquette in Ireland and also an Inside Page if you want to look these up.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,561 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

There is no need to tip at a B&B. I have bought gifts from home for B&B hosts whom I have met before, but not for people I don't know.

You're not really "a guest in their home", you're a paying customer, which is a bit different. It's really a business relationship, not a personal one.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

I think it would require an unusual service for an Irish person to consider tipping in a B&B!!

Oberlin, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

The best thank you you can give a B&B owner is a good review on TA. I just got back from Ireland and everyone is worried about the economy. Keeping their business thriving during the downturn would be the best gratuity.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

I agree, a good (or bad) review on TA would be reward enough for good (or bad) service.

I have never tipped in a B&B which, when I think about it is a bit weird as I regularly tip in hotels.

.... and now for something completely off topic

Hi people, I need help with a quiz,

How can I find out what is the most reviewed hotel on Tripadvisor?

Let me know and i'll revere you for ever.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

thanks for the advice

9. Re: Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:13 am, January 31, 2009
Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Proper etiquette for tipping at breakfeast

I Googled Ireland B&B etiquette and found this: www.irelandyes.com/irish-bandb-etiquette.html

It might be helpful for those who have never stayed in a B&B before.