We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

Hi

We're planning a 10 night trip for the first week of October. We fly into Shannon and out of Cork and have a car. Our rough plan is below. Does it look sensible? Advice on the two nights we have between Kenmare and Cork is especially appreciated as i've never been in the area before so am not sure which towns/villages would be the best places to stay.

Day 1 - Evening flight into Shannon, overnight in Limerick

Day 2 - Limerick (am) - Adare - Foyne - Killarney

Day 3 - Conor Pass - Dingle - Slea Head - Killarney

Day 4 - Killarney NP - Muck Ross/Gap of Dunloe

Day 5 - Ring of Kerry - Kenmare

Day 6 - Around Kenmare/ROK

Day 7 - Glengariff - Garinish Island - Bantry - Schull? - Skibereen? (where best to stay??)

Day 8 - Clonakilty - Kinsale - Cobh

Day 9 - Midleton - Cork

Day 10 - Cork

Day 11 - Cork and flight home

Any help much appreciated, thanks

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

Would you consider an overnight in Dingle before heading for Killarney

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

Day 8 is too busy for me , you can't do all those 3 and do them justice .

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

Thanks for the advice - what would you miss out in order to create the space?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,992 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

My Comments below prefixed by @@@@

Day 1 - Evening flight into Shannon, overnight in Limerick

@@@@ Yes, great.

Day 2 - Limerick (am) - Adare - Foyne - Killarney

@@@@ Very busy.(depending on what you want to see in Limerick City) Somebody else here will list the best sights.

Day 3 - Conor Pass - Dingle - Slea Head - Killarney

@@@@ Yes - Doable. I presume you will be based in Killarney and this will be a day trip to Dingle. Car time today will be 3 hours to/from Dingle with no stops. Good idea just to do Slea Head, it is beautiful and is a sub set of the full Dingle Pen.

Day 4 - Killarney NP - Muck Ross/Gap of Dunloe

@@@@ Not sure what you intend to do in the NP, but Muckross and Gap of Dunloe are easily achievable on this day.

Day 5 - Ring of Kerry - Kenmare

@@@@ Killarney to Kenmare is just under one hour drive and is VERY scenic with lots of photo ops on the way.

Day 6 - Around Kenmare/ROK

@@@@ Yes, try and get to Kenmare for an early lunch, some nice restaurants there, also nice artsy shops to browse in, particularly galleries.

Day 7 - Glengariff - Garinish Island - Bantry - Schull? - Skibereen? (where best to stay??)

@@@@ I recommend that you knock Schull of this part. (Unless you have plenty of time. Schull is a bit off your track here. Bantry House and/or gardens is worth a visit. I suggest you stay in Skibbereen. The West Cork Hotel has been around for years and is very good, right in the centre of Skibbereen. I also recommend 'The Good Things Cafe' in the centre of Skibbereen for lunch or Dinner. If you have time in the evening, Lough Hyne about 6 miles from Skibbereen is scenic.

Day 8 - Clonakilty - Kinsale - Cobh

@@@@ The Sticky Bun café in Clonakilty is very good for morning coffee and lunch. But there are quite a few cafes in the town. This will be a very busy day depending on what you do in Clonakilty and Kinsale, before Cobh., start early. If you want to save time, skip Clonakilty (a pity) but you can't do everything.

Day 9 - Midleton - Cork

@@@@ For the Jameson Experience? That is all that is in Midleton, it's a lovely town but you can walk down one side and back up the other in 20 minutes. A side trip when in Midleton would be to Ballycotton and do some of the Ballycotton Cliff Walk, which is very safe and very scenic.

Day 10 - Cork

@@@@ A nice city to stroll around. Park the car at your accommodation and visit, Cork City Gaol, UCC campus including the Glucksman gallery just inside the main gates. Fitzgeralds Park, and the Crawford Art Gallery. English Market for the foodies, and St Finbarres Cathedral for believers!

Day 11 - Cork and flight home

The airport is only 5 miles from the city centre. A small airport, where the security queues are very civilised.

Enjoy the planning and the trip.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

Thank you so much for this - really helpful

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

Sorry, another quick query now that i've done a bit more reading....would you recommend Skibereen over Clonakilty? We're changing our plans a bit and i need to find a two night base between Cork and Kenmare - Clonakilty, Skibereen or Kinsale seem to be the main options - which should i choose - it's just somewhere from where we can spend a couple of days - we'll have a car so can do a couple of day trips/drives around...

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,992 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

I prefer the town of Clonakikty to Skibbereen, but I prefer the location of Skibbereen which is deeper into west Cork. I'd say go with either, choose it by the accommodation you get there.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,514 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

Kinsale is a short drive from Cork, but light years apart in attitude.

www.bluehavenkinsale.com/

Cork
Level Contributor
234 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

Yes a nice route there - personally Clonakilty has a lot more to see and do than Skibbereen, there is a great music scene in Clonakilty with Debarras Bar and also good Traditional music in the pub called An Teach Beag. Clonakilty has lovely beaches and you could drive back via Kinsale on your way to Midleton the home of the Jameson Distillery. Need any help for Midleton or Clonakilty let me know, for Midleton there are guesthouses or The Midleton Park Hotel. Clonakilty is only over an hour from Midleton

10. Re: Kerry/Cork trip - help with route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 23, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Cork