We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jazz! Advice on the jazz fest?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jazz! Advice on the jazz fest?

I would love any specific advice regarding the jazz fest. Parking issues, etc. We have child and don't plan to catch any concerts that have a fee but it looks like there is plenty of free music in the streets. Any info on the festival and the fringe fest are much appreciated. We arrive into the Cork area that Friday of the fest. Also, did I hear that Kinsale has jazz happenings as well?

Thank you in advance.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jazz! Advice on the jazz fest?

Yes, Kinsale does have jazz for the festival, Cork city itself may be a hard place to find accommodation for the weekend.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jazz! Advice on the jazz fest?

Lodging is all set, outside of the city. Looking for any advice about what to expect, how crowded it gets, etc. An insider's guide :)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,544 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jazz! Advice on the jazz fest?

It does get crowded in the pubs but early afternoon sessions are great for families (depending on kid ages).

With a child, head for the sessions in the hotels in the afternoons. I say this because usually they will have more than one session going on at the same time and you can bring junior for walkies between them rather than stick him/her in a corner of a small pub.

The Metropole does not seem to be the festival club anymore, which is a pity, but Silversprings would be a good venue - lots free parking as would the Montenotte - which is unfortunately a bit difficult to find for 'non natives'!!!

The River Lee hotel is also an excellent venue but alas parking is not free there.

Enjoy the Jazz

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jazz! Advice on the jazz fest?

Hotels don't always have the best atmosphere for the Jazz Festival, but those places with the best atmosphere aren't always places to bring children. In addition to those mentioned above, The Clarion and The Hayfield Manor will have music on.

The Clarion has paid parking, but has the advantage of being close to the bus station, should you prefer to access the city that way. It is also close to where the bus from Blackash Park and Ride drops off.

The Hayfield Manor has free parking, but they get it back through the price of the refreshments.

There are also some street performances. See the link below. The food market with jazz perfomances at Emmet Place Plaza on Saturday and Sunday afternoon may be child-friendly

guinnessjazzfestival.com/fringe-festival/

Despite the long-held assertion that all Cork people leave the city on Jazz weekend, this will be the first time in a decade that I've done so and I'm already looking at the list of gigs I'll be missing.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Jazz! Advice on the jazz fest?

Thanks. I'm from Milwaukee WI, home to supposedly the worlds largest music festival. But that is different because it is on enclosed grounds with various stages set up, for ten days straight. I just can't picture this one :).

6. Re: Jazz! Advice on the jazz fest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 20, 2014