We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs & Forts of Inishmore

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Cliffs & Forts of Inishmore

I will be arriving to Ennis early Sunday morning and was interested in seeing the Cliffs and heard it is possible to take a ferry to Inishmore and see some of the old forts. Is all of this still possible given that I will be arriving on a Sunday or does much of Ireland close on Sundays?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,232 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffs & Forts of Inishmore

What time of year is your visit? And will you have a car?

If it's between April-October (give or take a couple of weeks) there are ferries from Doolin Co. Clare to Inishmore. They would probably leave in the 9:30 to 10:30 neighborhood (Google for specifcs at "Aran Ferries Doolin" or similar), but you would need to drive to Doolin to get the boat. Doolin is 60+ minutes drive from Ennis.

Combining this with a visit to the Cliffs of Moher would be possible, again, you'd need a car and could see the Cliffs after you get back from Inishmore.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffs & Forts of Inishmore

Thanks. I will have a car and will be arriving on November 5th. I will give the website a look.

Any other recommendation for sight seeing in the Ennis area?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliffs & Forts of Inishmore

You could visit Quin Abbey. It's just a few miles outside Ennis on the R469.

Have a lovely trip!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliffs & Forts of Inishmore

If you are up at the Cliffs, the drive along the coast is beautiful and you could come back to Ennis via the Burren. Bunratty Castle and Folk Park are also worth a trip. This is about a 20 minute drive from Ennis.

5. Re: Cliffs & Forts of Inishmore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ennis