We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire a driver instead of renting a car?

Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hire a driver instead of renting a car?

Planning an October trip to Dangan Lodge Cottages in East Clare. I'm concerned about my ability to drive in Ireland. I'm thinking about hiring a driver but worried it would cost too much for a week. Anyone have an experience with a local driver?

Boston...
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire a driver instead of renting a car?

I used Glengarriff Tours for our trip in 2011 and thought the driver made the trip. We did have 3 couple to split the cost. Being able to relax, have a pint here or there during the day and not worry about getting lost of the narrow roads was fantastic. Highly recommend giving Gene O'Sullivan a call. That being said my last trip was a motorcycle ride around the Ireland coast. You do get comfortable with driving on the left and the little roads after a couple of days. It's a little easier on a motorcycle as everything is where it is on american bikes.

http://www.glengarrifftours.ie

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,089 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire a driver instead of renting a car?

You will have absolutely no problems driving over here in East Clare. The roads are not busy and Shannon airport to the middle of nowhere somewhere by Tulla. In fact finding the place will be you biggest challenge.

Hiring a driver for the week will cost a small fortune.

Dublin
Level Contributor
98 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire a driver instead of renting a car?

Driving would be better and would save you a fortune. It's fairly easy to navigate around that area also.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire a driver instead of renting a car?

I think it would be much better if you could hire a car.

I am not sure exactly where the cottages are, but it looks like you will be a few miles from the nearest grocery store. Not having a car would leave you very isolated and a driver for a week would really be too expensive.

ireland
Level Contributor
243 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire a driver instead of renting a car?

I live very close to those cottages so pm me if you have any further questions on the area.. You are 4 miles approx from nearest shops/village so car is advisable..

6. Re: Hire a driver instead of renting a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Ennis