We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

Following BoS; AIB have appointed a receiver to the West County Hotel in Ennis.

Although not one of my favourite chains; it's sad to see the family's flagship hotel in trouble:

sbpost.ie/news/ireland/hotels-call-on-banks-…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,590 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

One of the few Hotels in Ennis I have never stayed at. It has either been too far out or not cheap enough to justify me staying at a Best Western. Was surprised to see it taken over by the Lynch group but I think it has a good chance of surviving.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

I agree Tony; I don't think it is the end of the line for this hotel.

This is the original Lynch hotel; run by Michael Snr (BW was for a time its choice of franchise) in days gone by.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

Sad news indeed for Michael Lynch snr as he worked hard to build up the original hotels in the group.

Hubby is getting worried as he just paid his annual membership fee to the Kingfisher Leisure Club at the hotel. Hopefully, the receiver will find a buyer for the hotel. It would not be a favourite of mine, but I would hate to see it close down.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

Yes i feel so sorry for Mr Michael Lynch snr, he worked so hard God Bless

Edited: 7:09 am, February 28, 2011
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,570 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

Tip of the iceberg I suppose when it comes to hotel closures.

A little good news that might give you some glimmer of hope. Spent the weekend in West Cork - stunning Sheeps head peninsula. I stayed in the tiny village of Kilcrohane, (Bridgeview house B&B) where they reported that they were holding their own quite well and that bookings were up for march, april, may this year over last.

The nearby pub (Fitzpatricks, better known as Eileens) is also doing fine.

The difference of course is that both of these places are very small businesses in comparison to outfits such as West County Hotel. However if it takes a lot of small businesses to help us out of the recession, then how bad?

The new government really need to strongly sell Ireland as a great holiday destination focussing on what the country has to offer and over the ever popular sun destinations.

We practically had the whole peninsula to ourselves at the weekend and while this was great for us, it can't be good for the residents of the pen itself.

The Waymarked walks there are second to none.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,367 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

The West County will be hosting an Ideal Homes Exhibition this weekend coming and AFAIK, the Limerick-Clare finals of the Primary School Credit Union Quiz the following weekend.

So, at least she'll be tipping over (we'll be at both of the above :o) )

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

Yes but hotel should not overcharge customers they should think of good service and quality with a pleasant smile all around.. I booked a hotel room for Take That concert in June just before they had planned to come when the concert was announced the price of hotel room almost trebled that leaves a very bad taste in anybodies mouth.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,367 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

Correction - the credit union table quiz will take place in the Carlton Castletroy Park on Saturday 5th March.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

Bean, good luck at the Credit Union Quiz, I assume you have someone competing in it.

I attended them myself for many years and then on to the RDS for the grand final!!

You are right about the West County ticking over. As well as the Ideal Homes this weekend, they had the election count last weekend, which must have generated a bit of business for them too.

Edited: 9:03 pm, February 28, 2011
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,367 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AIB appoint a receiver to the West County Hotel

Yes, Bannergirl, Baby Bean is taking part :o)

Well done to yours for making the final in previous years!!

Get answers to your questions about Ennis
Recent Conversations