We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johnno's Ale House

Saint Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
109 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Johnno's Ale House

Is this pub close to town? Looking to stay in Ennis on the night of the 27th and it appears to have a trad. music session that night that we would like to check it out. All I can gather online is that it is on Quin Rd. What would be the closest hotel or b&b and would it be even advisable to walk to/from the pub?

Quin Abbey
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites
Ennis Friary
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites
County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,409 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johnno's Ale House

No sname, I would not recommend walking that road at night - I'll be driving past it later tonight and will check the distance from the Old Ground, but probably about two miles.

That is not the problem though- this road is quite busy, has a high arched bridge (concealing views) industrial estate/fast cars etc, so a taxi would be a much better option.

If its the same pub that I'm thinking of - its close to a newish housing development, near a petrol (gas)station, but will confirm later.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,409 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johnno's Ale House

Yes sname - it's the same place, just less than 2 miles from the centre of town, but in parts, not at all suitable for walking in the dark, mostly illuminated around the garage & Qion road industrial estate.

You might be interested in:

http://www.williekeanememorialweekend.com/

in Doonbeg.

Also in Bunratty - if you have children:

shannonheritage.com/SpecialEvents/…d.en.4472

You will always catch a session in Ennis, especially as this is a bank holiday monday.

I'll post back if I find anything going on in the centre of Ennis - but you wont have any difficulty.

http://www.clarenet.ie/ennis/venues.html

Saint Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
109 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johnno's Ale House

Thanks ferdia. We haven't ruled out Doonbeg or Bunratty, etc. Plan on touring the Burren, COM, maybe Loophead during the day and want to end up south or southeast at the end of the day. Will we be okay if we wait until the last minute that day to book lodging in any of those places?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,409 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johnno's Ale House

sname - I'm always for booking ahead - no surprises (bad ones) but you will probably be alright.

It is a long weekend though (although Cork is the major draw for the October weekend) and some B&Bs will have closed for the season.

Maybe research a few options - then chance your luck when you arrive?

The B&Bs if full will alway refer so you should be ok.

5. Re: Johnno's Ale House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ennis