We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

I've been reading these posts and I have to tell you guys/gals that I'm getting a bit worried. About a year ago, I talked my roommate into going with me to Ireland. We are going 3/05. I've done all the trip planning and research; she is going on me purely on my word. OMG...what have I done?

I don't mean to sound idiotic, but I am a full-time student and she's a nurse and this is a huge trip for both of us. Me, 'cause I'm just poor and her, 'cause she would never plan something like this for herself.

I am not looking for love, but I sure don't want to go there and feel uncomfortable. President Bush is pretty much a dope (hey, we had him for Governor, remember), but the enormity of politics, with all its vast machinations and intriques, are a little much for me. I would not have chosen to go to war and I cannot say that I support it, but I am an American.

So, any advice? Should I spend my hard-earned dollars in another country? Am I going to get spit on or something? I cannot EVEN tell my roommate about this...OMG.

I just want to breathe the air and stand on the cliffs...so, I'm a nudnik...lol...

cali
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

there is nothing wron with Ireland. as long as you are easy going and know how to have fun you will have a great trip. I go at least once a year.

Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

Thank you for your note. I appreciate it very much. Alot of work has gone into this bad boy, so....and I'm pretty easy going, so....I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

Hold on a moment. You go once a year? Hmmmm. Sounds like fertile ground for inside tips to me. Any you are willing to share? I'm starting in Shannon. I was planning on going south...would you be willing to listen to my itinerary I have planned and tell me if I'm nuts? If so, I would appreciate it...if not, I understand....even I'm about over my research for this trip (8 months). Thanks

naperville, IL
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

I just returned from Ireland last week and as far as Bush goes, almost every taxi driver I spoke to originally liked Kerry, but after hearing him take every side of every issue, have become fed up with his indecision and now prefer Bush. In a non-political matter, the weather in Ireland in March will be wet and chilly, the roads are terrible and generally unmarked, the "regular" hotels are very expensive (especially with it taking $1.26 to buy an Euro), good food is expensive, but the people are just great. Dublin was exceedingly crowded and busy and really is just another big city. The countryside is much nicer. The Guiness is out of this world - it just doesn't taste anything like it does here! If you like to hike or bike along the Irish roads, be sure to have your will written and at least a medical insurance policy that covers you there. The roads are barely wide enough for 1 1/2 cars in the nice scenic areas and you will be placing your life in the hands of the courtesy or lack thereof of car drivers. Good luck!

ireland
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

Nobody will spit on you!! 90% of us Irish are extremly nice just like the Americans! If you want someone to look at your iterinery you can e-mail me at angelcooke@yahoo.co.uk and I will help you anyway I can.

Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

If you are on a budget, and don't feel like walking or cycling, especially as it will be winter, there are low cost budget tours favoured by backpackers/ students called Paddy Wagon tours. The concept is good, they do all the sights and it is not too touristy either. I hear good things about it. Check it out for yourself. Don't be afraid to come here. You will be very welcome.

France
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

Don't worry. I'm Irish and I can tell you you won't be treated any differently just because Bush is your president. Sure, Bush isn't exactly the most popular person here in Europe, but I know many Americans spending their vacations or living here in Europe and they only have good things to say about how they're treated.

Two words of warning on my home country of Ireland: March: probably miserable weather, but sure, nobody goes to Ireland for nice weather, so not a problem. 2: Ireland has become very expensive, and Dublin is now one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Apart from all that, I can assure you, you'll have great "craic" (good time/fun in Irish) unlike anywhere. Enjoy yourself!

Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

To everyone who posted about this: thank you very much. I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. Noreen, I'll send you an email about my itinerary and I will appreciate your feedback. Kane, I'll look into those paddywagon tours. We are renting a small car, my roommate would love to backpack, but I am like the world's oldest student, so....

Peter, Cowboy and Jouet: thanks to you too for replying. Hopefully each individual's experience is colored by his/her openness and expectations.

I have been able to secure reasonable accommodations in Dublin and I will be there the day before and the day of St. Patrick's. (Which is pretty funny since I rarely drink!) Anyway, I am very excited about this trip and thanks again to ALL of you!

ireland
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

I am an American living in Dublin - have been here over a year and I can't say enough good about this place. I have traveled to many countries around the world and you won't find better people anywhere else. The love of laughter and fun times are what this place is all about. For the most part the Irish love Americans - remember that almost 5 million irish immegrated to American during the 19th century so there are strong ties to the people if not the politics. And they are smart enough to separate the two factors. So come and have a great time - there is no such thing as a bad place in Ireland but cost will be up to you to control - there are so many to choose from but remember that almost everyplace are a cost per person basis. Food is fabulous is you know where to eat - ask the locals they will be more than willing to help in any way. Drink is not cheap - but the Guiness is top notch. Plan for late evenings - most entertainment and fun doesn't start till 10:00. Shannon is beautiful country - I'm sure you know the highlights but you really shouldn't miss Dublin or the Wicklow Mountains. I just got back from a trip to Northern Ireland and Belfast - also very beautiful. You really can't go wrong anywhere. Driving will be an adventure - roads are narrow by US standards Don't expect good road marking and plan to take many wrong turns - consider it part of the experience as you will see places you otherwise might of missed. Plan for extra time to get to where you are going - it will take longer than you think and longer than the locals say. Remember that everything is "Irish time" - which means give or take an hour or so. It is a trip you won't regret and you will make many memories.

Cheers

Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OK, Now you are freaking me out! Ireland???

I am Irish from County Kerry and don't worry, we really are a nice race of people! Everything said in your previous replies is true with regard to the cold, the expense etc. However as you are coming in March there are some areas you could cut corners if you want to save money!

(1) Irish breakfasts are VERY substansial. Most supermarkets and Gas stations have hot food take away counters which are good for lunch and almost all pubs in towns do good dinners up to 8 or 9 pm which usually works out cheaper than restaurants.

(2) Almost every town in the South West (where I'm from) has a hostel. In most you will have kitchen facilities and they have twin rooms in nearly all. Much cheaper than hotels.

(3) Don't stay in the real tourist hubs. They are always more expensive. By travelling a couple of miles out of town you could save quite a bit.

(4)Paddywaggon tours are great!

(5) Sometimes, during holiday breaks you can hire campus rooms at the Universities very reasonably. As you will be over around St. Patrick's day you may be lucky! Check by emailing the colleges and book ahead.

(6) Most large towns have a tourist office. These will be able to direct you to good reasonably priced accomodation. They may be closed in the smaller towns in March, however, as the tourist season dosen't really kick off until June.

(7) Come to Kerry! We have everything. Mountains, lakes, sea, sandy beaches, castles, great pubs, breathtaking mountain passes! The list goes on and on. If you want to email me at galvin_moira@hotmail.com I will answer any questions you may have.

Have a brilliant time - I bet you'll become a regular visitor - most people once they are bitten by the Ireland bug just keep returning! Moira