We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ennis, Doolin, or Spanish Point - for Wheelchair User

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ennis, Doolin, or Spanish Point - for Wheelchair User

Hi there

I'm organising a 2 night stay for a short break - party of 8 adults.

Due to spinal surgery I'm only able to walk short distances and anything longer am in a wheelchair.

I'm looking at Ennis, Doolin and Spanish Point. I've looked at some photos of Doolin and Spanish Point and am a little concerned as the surrounding area doesn't look wheelchair friendly - bearing in mind I can't go on grass.

We're flying into Shannon airport.

Advice from anyone who's been would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,606 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ennis, Doolin, or Spanish Point - for Wheelchair User

Ennis is a good option and a little more user friendly for wheelchairs, The pavements can be a little narrow in places but easier to get into places. (Its a while since I was in Spanish point to be fair)

Temple gate Hotel might have the edge over the Old Ground if planning to stay in the centre..

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ennis, Doolin, or Spanish Point - for Wheelchair User

I agree with Tony that Ennis would be a good option for you.

I love Spanish Point and go there regularly, but really it is just the beach and two hotels and would not be the most suitable for a wheelchair user for such a short break.

Doolin is quite spread out for a small place and the roads would not be ideal for a wheelchair user.

You don't say if you intend doing some sightseeing or just staying put for the two days, but Spanish Point and Doolin are within an easy drive from Ennis if you wanted to do a day trip.

As Tony says, the Temple Gate and Old Ground Hotels are very good and are right in the centre of Ennis.

www.flynnhotels.com

www.templegatehotel.com

Edited: 4:57 pm, February 03, 2014
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,132 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ennis, Doolin, or Spanish Point - for Wheelchair User

Even with a blue parking permit, parkin can be tricky. The Cliffs of Moher have worked on becoming more accessible, but there is only a certain area you will be able to go to. Ennis would give you good options in the evenings for food/pubs etc. more so than the others.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ennis, Doolin, or Spanish Point - for Wheelchair User

Thank you all for the great advice.

We've booked The a Temple Gate Hotel :)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,132 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ennis, Doolin, or Spanish Point - for Wheelchair User

If you are visiting the Cliffs, disabled drivers enter through the bus barrier so they can park much closer. Worth ringing the centre to let them know you are on the way.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ennis, Doolin, or Spanish Point - for Wheelchair User

Thanks for that :)

7. Re: Ennis, Doolin, or Spanish Point - for Wheelchair User

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, February 07, 2015