We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Base

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Base

We are going to Ireland in May 2014. We are considering having staying in several different areas and making day trips from there. If we are planning to see the Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle, and the Burren- would Limerick be a good base?

What city would be a good base for the Ring of Kerry and the Killarney National Park?

Thanks!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Base

Killarney is the ideal base for the Ring of Kerry and Killarney NP

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Base

Ennis would be a better base than Limerick for Bunratty, Cliffs of Moher and the Burren.

www.visitennis.ie

As soonas says, Killarney is the perfect base for the Ring of Kerry and Killarney NP.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,089 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Base

As above Ennis is the best touring base for County Clare and the area called the "Shannon Region" and Killarney is the best touring base for County Kerry... using Ennis and Killarney as bases you can drive round the Dingle Peninsula on the way down.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Base

Ennis for sure, like bannergirl and Tony have advised already. On my next trip, I will be spending more time in Ennis. What a lovely town.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Base

I would suggest renting a cottage either in the Connemara region in County Mayo or County Galway. That is what I have done and it really is the best way to see a lot, but you will need a car to drive places. Or you could also rent a cottage in County Clare or County Kerry to be closer to the Burren or the Rings.

6. Re: Travel Base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 22, 2014