We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish pubs and restaurants off season specials

New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
835 reviews
Save Topic
Irish pubs and restaurants off season specials

We are headed to Ireland in November for a couple of weeks along the south and west central coasts. I have a fantasy that chalk boards both in and outside establishments will list special three course meals and the like at 20% or more off their high season and current tour book prices. Is such a theory highly wishful?

In any case, especially in coastal Kerry and Clare, do you locals and travelers know of particularly good value establishment offerings. I'd found one at three interesting courses for under E20 and another E55 for two courses for two persons including a bottle of wine.

Ollie's Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Killaloe River Cruises
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Ted Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,759 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish pubs and restaurants off season specials

You will find some of those places...You will not find me in there Any Time. Good Value well respected places with a regular local clientèle do not need to advertise on the groupon type sights. There are a lot of good pub grub bars starting with €10 main and €5 starter or sweet courses.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,663 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish pubs and restaurants off season specials

Part of your problem is that many of the touristy locations will have significant shut-downs in November.

I haven't found any reductions in prices between July and November. All that will happen is that there will be a reduced service. The main cost here in Ireland is the wages, not the food.

Killarney isn't a coastal location but a lot of the restaurants will shut down mid-week once Hallow'een is over.

New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
835 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish pubs and restaurants off season specials

Thanks Tony. I wonder if you could hit me with a few you like as we're spending ten days above the Ring of Kerry and as far north as Doolin area.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,610 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish pubs and restaurants off season specials

Early Bird menu is probably what you are looking for. Most restaurants have grudgingly introduced them now. The problem is that the choice is limited (which is not necessarily a problem), the portions can be smaller and you may have to order before a specific time in the evening.

Here is a very good example of an Early Bird,though not all are as generous !!!

marketlane.ie/food/…

Note they expect you to have ordered by 7pm usually.

Pub food as already recommended can be excellent value and quality too.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,759 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish pubs and restaurants off season specials

Sort out your over nights and I will be happy to give the spots I Know if I know. But 90% of the places I have found come from asking the locals. The Smoking ban has had a great effect on putting huge amounts of local knowledge on the pub doorsteps.

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish pubs and restaurants off season specials

For the last couple of winters L'Arco's italian restaurant in Ballyvaughan have had a good offer of two courses for two and a bottle of wine for 50 euros.It was very popular with the locals.

New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
835 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Irish pubs and restaurants off season specials

You good folks are surely starting to cook for me out there. Any related specific tips touching upon Kinsale, driving along and around coastal Kerry and Clare within half an hour or so by car, will be most appreciated.

These days getting a pleasant two course sit. for two under e40/45 isn't always simple and two fine ones under 60 quite impressive.I also have to agree that finding a good dining opportunity will be helped by talking with people once within striking distance as well. Quality pints under e5 or similarly bottle of decent wine under e 20 are a nice bonus as well, but one can always satisfy that in a good pub after dining if need be.

Just thirteen years ago, my brother and sister-in-law from New York did an Irish bus tour for two weeks with flights, three meals daily, small hotels in six different areas, entrance fees, a drink with dinner and a pub pint at night, total cost for two in today's euros totaled just over 1100. I read the contracted tarrif tonight at his house taped into a book of photos from the trip in amazement.

8. Re: Irish pubs and restaurants off season specials

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 29, 2014