We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clare for 4 days/nights

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
15 reviews
Clare for 4 days/nights

Headed to Ireland for the 1st time in early April. I fly in and out of Dublin and I only have a week. I’m thinking 1st and last nights in Dublin and then I may have 1 day/night in May visiting cousins. The other 4 nights are up in the air, but I am focusing on Clare because I have family from there and I want to look into those connections and see where they came from.

Originally I was thinking of 2 nights in Clare and 2 in Galway, but now I am thinking it might be nice to take my time in Clare and just spend the whole time there getting to know the area.

I will have a car. I want to see the Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, O’Donohues Pub in Fanore, the Burren, Murrooghkilly (great grandfather grew up there), visit relatives in Gort Galway, see Ennis maybe, perhaps a trip to Aran island?, Pulnabrone Dolmen, maybe Bunratty Castle, Corcomroe Abbey. I’d like to stay somewhere that I can walk to a pub at night. I need someplace with 2 beds since I am traveling with my friend.

Would you try to find 1 place for all 4 nights? Or split it to 2 different locations? Where should I look?

Would it be feasible to go to the Aran Islands in early April? Say the week of April 8th? Is it worth spending a night there?

Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
21,862 posts
290 reviews
1. Re: Clare for 4 days/nights

VT..

Firstly do as much research as you can before visiting, I will mention County Clare has a wonderful Heritage & Genealogy Centre, as well as a great Genealogy and Family History Department at the Clare Library in Ennis

http://www.clareroots.com/

clarelibrary.ie/eolas/…genealog.htm

Over the years I have stayed weeks at a time in Ennis exploring the Burren, in and around Lough Derg, Gort, the Loop Head Peninsula and other areas in County Clare, I have also stayed by Kinvarra, which has a lovely beach. In 2016 I leased a Cottage near Carrigaholt for a week by the Coastal road and it was spectacular, no phone, no internet, no t.v., and I loved every moment.

I haven't visited the Aran Islans in the Spring, however I have stayed on Inis Oirr in Autumn and loved every moment, travelled by plane & ferry. If your time is limited you might just want to head to Inis Mor.

Kesh_grammy

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 9:15 pm, September 20, 2018
boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Clare for 4 days/nights

I agree with Kesh_grammy's recommendation of doing as much research as possible before you leave. If you don't know exactly what townland they originated you could research BMD records on this site: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ . Have a great visit.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Clare for 4 days/nights

Oh I know a bit. I’ve got a bunch and some I am more interested in than others. So far I have that great grandfather from Murrough. Then his cousin who was supposedly AE ODonohue in Fanore. More relatives from Tulla and Crusheen and Ennis. But I’m mostly interested in my great grandfather and maybe finding out where his father was buried in 1902...(any ideas where someone from Murrooghkilly would be buried??) and also visiting some relatives in Gort and then the ones in Mayo. Besides that I’m happy to just sightsee and take in the town/village atomosphere. I don’t want to be spending my days in a library or anything.

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Clare for 4 days/nights

You could check Craggagh Cemetery near Fanore.

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
758 posts
5. Re: Clare for 4 days/nights

Can you give me the name as my husband is the caretaker of Craggagh cemetery and keeps a record of the burials.However the parish records were burned in a church fire in 1918 but he may know the family or even be related to them!

Province of...
Level Contributor
295 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Clare for 4 days/nights

With only a few days I would suggest you just stick with Clare and leave the Aran Islands for your next trip. I stayed in a self catering cottage 1.5km (1 mile) from O'Donoghues pub - lovely pub BTW. Beautiful spot with views out to the Aran Islands. Fanore is a nice central location for all the places you mentioned. Looking out to sea you have the Arans in front of you, the Burren around you, the Cliffs a drive away in one direction and Gort in the other. I would suggest seeing Bunratty Castle and Ennis either on route to or from Dublin. Also, if you have an option to fly into Shannon you should look at that so that you can have the full week in Clare.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Clare for 4 days/nights

GilMac9 - My great grandfather's family was the O'Connors. Michael O'Connor died in 1902. I found his death record online, but no idea where he is buried. I also do not know what happened to his wife Honora Fitzpatrick. Most of Michael's children moved to Boston, but I dont know what happened to the mother Honora and 1 daughter also named Honora or Hanora. I'm not sure the O'Connors were originally from Murroogh. But I know his wife's family the Fitzpatricks were.

ideb - Thanks for the tips. I've already booked my flights because we found a great price, so we have to fly in/out of Dublin. Next time I would look into Shannon though!

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
758 posts
8. Re: Clare for 4 days/nights

Hello VT Traveler..there is a MIchael O'Connors buried in Craggagh cemetery but the marker stone is very worn and there is no date of death discernible so could be your great-great grandfather.There are also Fitzpatricks still living in the village.Murroughkilly is an area just north of the caher river which flows under the bridge on the R477...not far from St. Patrick's church..the few houses in that area are relatively new buildings so the old house may have been demolished...some of the locals in O'Donohues pub may be able to help..it's run by Pat O'Donohue

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Clare for 4 days/nights

Thank you very much!!! Is there any way to tell if someone is buried with Michael OConnors? After he died in 1902, a few of his children moved to Boston. By 1911 the Irish census only shows 2 of his sons (Patrick and Michael) still living in Murrooghkilly with their uncles family (Michael Fitzpatrick). I have no idea what happened to their mother.

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
758 posts
10. Re: Clare for 4 days/nights

Many of the burials in the early 1900s only had marker stones as people couldn't afford headstones so there may be another buried with him but you will never know.There are Fitzpatricks living in Fanore and PJ Fitzpatrick runs Seacoast Lodge b&b just next to O'Donohue's pub.He may know his family history

Reply to: Clare for 4 days/nights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted