We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for July

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for July

My daughter went a couple of years ago and said we should definitely see: Cliffs of Moher, Giant's Causeway, Belfast murals. My wife and I like history and nature and a little adventure.

Here is the little that we have planned.

Day 1 Dublin: Arrive early morning. Maybe visit the Gaul and a library then a pub.

Day 2 Kilarney: Rent car in Dublin (I could use a good link car rental tips). Visit Cahir and Rock of Cashel and who knows what else time will allow.

Day 3: Kilarney: Ring of Kerry

Day 4: Galway: Dingle Peninsula and drive to Galway (Cliffs of Moher??)

Day 5: Galway: Not sure

Day 6: Galway: Ride bike

Day 7: Belfast: Murals

Day 8: Belfast: Giants Causeway

Day 9: Dublin:

Day 10: Dublin

Day 11 Dublin

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Wild...
1,205 Reviews
from $53.70*
Best Seller
Giant’s Causeway and Northern Ireland...
Best Seller
Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher Day...
421 Reviews
from $47.70*
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for July

Wow! You seem to be planning loads from day one!

I'd say on day 5 in Galway, just have a wander around, walk the prom and stop in somewhere for a pint and soak up the atmosphere. Think it would be nice as a kind of "day off" mid trip.

I'm guessing you intend to visit Kilmainham Gaol on day 1? I'd advise booking in advance to avoid disappointment as it's very busy this year because of the Rising centenary celebrations!

I'm no expert on car hire but can tell you that petrol prices are around the €1.20 mark for diesel and €1.30 for petrol per litre.

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for July

If I am reading this correctly, on Day 4 you plan on driving from Killarney to Dingle to Galway all in one day with a stop at the Cliffs of Moher. You will not have time to accomplish all of that in one day. If you really want to visit Dingle then make that an overnight on Day 4. That will give you a chance to do the Slea Head drive and enjoy the town of Dingle in the evening. Then you can head to Galway on Day 5. If you need an extra day anywhere then take a day away from Dublin.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for July

For car hire check out Dan Dooley and easytourireland.com. These 2 seem to have a decent rep on here. I used easytour, they go through Hertz.

Have a great time!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for July

Way too much dashing and too much missed.

Land Dublin get on the bus to Belfast, day one for the city and Black cab tour, day 2 for a causeway and glens or game of thrones tour.

Day 3 Get the bus back to Dublin airport and collect the rental car. Drive to Galway including one or more, Belvedere House, any distillery, Clonmacnoise possibly Athenry.

Day 4 Connemara drive and 2nd night in Galway.

Day 5 Drive west Clare for the Cliffs and Burren end the Night in Ennis or probably better Adare

Day 6 drive round Dingle figure of eight and end up in Killarney for night 6 and 7

Day 8 to Kilkenny by any route

Day 9 head for Dublin via Wicklow mountains and Glendalough nights 9,10,11 in Dublin

If you want one more Dublin day then drop Kilkenny/Glendalough and just run up from Killarney to Dublin.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for July

Tony's itinerary is far more doable than your own OP, id seriously look into it more if i were you, too much travelling, squashing things in and no time to enjoy it.

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for July

I like the idea of taking a bus to Belfast at the beginning of our trip because that would eliminate a single day stay in one city which we'd like to avoid but I like the freedom of a car so that I can stay longer or move on quicker if wanted. I'll look at my reservations and see what my options are. I have reserved rooms in the places stated already but have only put a small deposit down.

I'd like to explain my thoughts for my itinerary to see if it may seem more doable.

Day One: Arrive 6:30 A.M. go to hostel and drop off luggage. Then walk nearby to Keil Library with fast pass then walk to the Gaul (I've heard it's only a 30 minute walk) I would have an afternoon reservation there. We may take a cab or bus back depending on the time. I feel if we walk we will be able to take in some of Dublin and have an idea of where we might want to return. We'll stop for dinner and a drink before loading up for food. I'm not sure when to rent the car. I've thought about getting it the day we arrive but hat would take form our day. I'm leaning on getting it the 2nd day around 7:00 a.m. if possible.

Day 2: Rent car , Destination Kilarney with stops and Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle and then the drive to Killarney. If that takes 8 hours we would still fit in 2-4 more hours. We want to see scenery and will make stops accordingly.

Day 3: Ring of Kerry all day--counterclockwise. For us it's more about the scenery than anything else but there was a castle or two that looked worthy of a quick look. A picnic lunch and maybe dinner might be nice. Slea Head drive would be nice to take.

Day 4: Leave from Killarny and drive around the Dingle peninsula. Blasket Island ferry tour would be nice if the weather is cooperating and it's not booked. From there we will be heading towards Galway but we'll be staying south of there and 12 K. Things beforehand that we would like to see are the Cliffs of Moher (but we might save that for the next day to enjoy them more) and Bunratty Castle...but is it well done?

Day 5: We're south of Galway and will do something in the south this day. Probably Cliffs of Moher.

Day 6. Still south of Galway: Ashford Castle, Bunratty, Aran Island ferry if Blasket fell through. Maybe a couple of these anyway.

Day 7. Moving North and want to go to the bike path along the Altantic Way. Looks awesome. I think by that time we would have covered a lot. Would there be any suggestions to replace any of part of my itinerary by this point Arrive in Belfast in evening...

I have to say I wanted to go through Londonderry to see the museum of Bloody Sunday and the fortt. But I have to decide between Belfast and Londonderry. So Belfast right?

Day 8. Spend day in Belfast

Day 9: Giants Causeway surroundings (Drive to Dublin in late afternoon?)

Day 10: Dublin: See Cemetery Glenvaugh? City center

Day 11: Dublin: Depart at 7:00 PM but will return for another half day.

That's my original itinerary and I have a little flexibility Starting in Belfast would be difficult because I'd have to change so much. Does this make more sense and more doable? We don't have to see everything..

Thanks for any help/suggestions that you can give.

7. Re: Itinerary for July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 15, 2017