We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

grafton
Level Contributor
624 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

Hi again everyone. Still in the process of planning our trip in 2015, unfortunately can't come any earlier. Very keen to see both Clonmacnoise and Glendalough in the three weeks we are there but have just begun to wonder if they are too much alike. For those of you who have been to both, what do you think and if you had to choose one over the other, which would it be?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

As monastic sites go there is probably little difference and either would probably tick you box if Celtic Christianity is your thing and time is limited.

However, for scenery/location Glendalough is [as its Irish names hints] in a valley with two lakes. It is surrounded by high hills and has some lovely walks and trails of differing difficulties. Clonmacnoise [the "Clon" bit means meadow] is a riverside establishment. So if Hills are your preference - go to Glendalough. Peaceful rivers are very relaxing I find and if that is to your liking, Clonmacnoise.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

It kind of depends what you have in mind concerning monastic sites. As described above Glendalough is a popular destination for folks looking for a day excursion from Dublin set between hills with walking trails. Clonmacnoise on the other hand is far more about the history/architecture of monasticism in Ireland and its significance from being set in the middle of the country and significant position of being beside the river Shannon puts its importance as paramount over that of any other monastic site in Ireland. We went to Clonmacnoise this summer and found it interesting both from walking amongst the ruins and from the interpretive centre/museum which explains in great detail the various stages of building work which took place over hundreds of years. I doubt that Glendalogh would inspire in that much detail.

Edited: 8:12 am, October 07, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

Just to clarify, visitors to Glendalough can be either/or or both there for the scenery and monastic sites. The history starts with a hermit called Kevin who sought out the valley for its remoteness. There is a visitor center with the audio visual introduction and exhibition. Both Glendalough and Clonmacnoise are managed by Heritage Ireland. Here's the link to Glendalough heritageireland.ie/en/…

grafton
Level Contributor
624 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

Thank you for replying Cavan and 171956. Both places still appeal to me for all the reasons you have discussed, so I will probably still try to include both.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

You won't be disappointed. Both are beautiful places.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

Oh ,please, visit both, well worth the trips.

grafton
Level Contributor
624 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

Shall do, you have all convinced me. They both appealed to me at first, so I'm sure they will when I finally get to see them.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

While searching the web for monastic sites to visit I came across another interesting site popular with tourists: Creevelea Friary near Dromohair in Co. Leitrim. Haven't been there but the pictures look great.

Edited: 11:29 am, October 09, 2013
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

GraftonNed, please do try to see both Glendalough and Clonmacnoise. They are totally different.

While monasteries tend to follow the same building pattern, the settings are different. And their remains exude a completely different atmosphere at each location. To me Glendalough has a more spiritual aura while Clonmacnoise seems to be more down to earth. Sorry, can't quite explain, you'll have to see for

yourself.

Thanks Cavan, for pointing out Creevelea Friary near Dromahair. Strrangely enough I don't seem to remember a signpost to this lovely looking site the last time I was up in that area but will check it out next time.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glendalough and Clonmacnoise

We did both on our trip in April 2012 and felt both were different enough to warrant doing both.