We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from London....

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
766 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from London....

Hi all, My friend has decided to come and visit me at Christmas next year. She lives in Lindon and I live in West Cork. She'll have her car and her small dog. What are your suggestions for best ferry that time of year? She'll have lots of time so can drive to a farther port if it's an easier crossing.

Thanks for your help! Had started looking at different options on line and was a bit overwhelmed. Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
315 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from London....

Your friends best option is probably to drive to Fishguard and catch a ferry across to Rosslare, Co. WEXFORD and then drive across to Cork

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,288 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from London....

I'd go London-Holyhead-Dublin-Cork-Goleen.

The distance is much of a muchness with London-Fishguard/Pembroke-Rosslare-Cork-Goleen but the roads on the first route are much better.

Tell your friend to take the M6 Toll rather than battling through the free M6 in Birmingham and stop off at the Norton Caines motorway services on the M6 Toll as it is usually fairly quiet and better than many of the other motorway stops.

Also tell your friend to take a larger ship rather than a high speed ferry as the weather can be unpredictable at that time of year (any time of year, actually!!)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from London....

Our relatives are coming over via Holyhead, staying the night before in Travelodge Bangor (cheaper than Holyhead mostly) and getting the Nordica just before 9am. There is only 1/2 an hour difference in drive time between Holyhead or Fishguard from London and they prefer that crossing which is the only real reason.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from London....

Another vote for Holyhead to Dublin, not only are the roads better but there is less chance of a rough crossing, Fishguard to Rosslare can be a bit rough. I always like to get the crossing ov er first and then plan a stop, just in case.

Travelodge Bangor is OK, or Travelodge Dublin after the afternoon crossing, most Travelodges do have dog friendly rooms.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
766 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from London....

Thanks for your help! Will let her know and she can decide. I knew this was the best way to get the best advice!!!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,288 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from London....

How small is the dog? And how well behaved is it?

If the dog is Yorkie or Chihuahua I'd be inclined to bring the dog in to a hotel in a large handbag, after checking in. Take the dog for a walk in the grounds of the hotel (its going to be dark).

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from London....

"Bring the dog in to a hotel in a large handbag, after checking in"

Why?

To contravene regulations of an establishment?

To avoid paying a surcharge for a pet-friendly room?

If that's the practice of guests of Travellodge and the likes, I'm glad I've never stayed in one!

Sherri - would your friend not consider flying to Cork, and you pick her up, rather than the drive from London to Holyhead/Fishguard and either Dublin/Rosslare to Cork? With inclement weather that time of yearboth sides of the Irish Sea, it might be easier (and safer). The dog could travel too.

Whether it travels in a handbag or not - well that depends on the calibre of your friend ;-)

Edited: 2:07 pm, June 18, 2013
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,609 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from London....

If I bring dogs to travelodge I book dogs in but than we have bigger dogs .

I prefer to sail from Holyhead when I pop over to Ireland especially if you are going in December as I learnt the hard way about the lack of facilties at Pembroke Dock for a night crossing as it was freezing cold and you had no where to warm up.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from London....

re Flying and for my own information, what are the regulations for bringing dogs by 'plane? especially on the economy carrier loved/hated by many? [Can you put your Yorkie in a large handbag and pay the €40 'extra bag' surcharge for e.g?]

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry from London....

Pembroke Dock is Irish Ferries, They don't have any facilities at Holyhead either. (there's a surprise)

Dogs Also need a Passport to comply with EU Laws

Edited: 3:48 pm, June 15, 2013