We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

Melbourne
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

I would like to know if anyone has been on this tour and if so was it rushed?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,007 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

if you could give us a link to this particular tour, even if we haven't taken it, we could let you know if it is rushed....i tried going to their site in order to try and help you out but i can't find that tour description nor any other without dates....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

Hi

I found the tour in the Cosmos catalogue. Cosmos belongs to Trafalgar tours.

Thank you for your response

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

Is this the tour in question?

globaljourneys.com.au/coach_tours/…9200.php

The itinerary looks jammed packed and more than a little hectic for my tastes. Maybe, look for something than offers a couple of nights in each destination.

I know nothing about this company; just using it to illustrate a more reasonable timeframe with more than one night for most destinations:

goaheadtours.com/lss/…2014-overview

Edited: 4:33 pm, June 15, 2013
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,911 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

And there's me thinking Tourism Ireland had lost the plot cramming the whole of the island into 10 days. Still a strictly gift shop tour like that couldn't justify more than 9days spending?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

Thank you all for your answers to my question, something to think about.

Windsor, NS
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

We are planning on taking this tour on Sept. 5 so will let you know. Aug. 31 tour was sold out as well as Sept. 5 but they put on a second tour bus. We are spending 3 nights in Dublin before the tour starts.

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

Here is the full itinerary for anyone interested in reading the day by day of the Irish Explorer Package from Cosmos Vacations. I actually have the Cosmos 2013 book right in front of me at the moment I read this post. We've elected not to take a bus tour now, but I enjoy looking at these guides for inspiration. We'd picked them up initially to peruse our options. Our travel agent has sent quite a few folks on this one.

www.cosmos.com/Product.aspx…

Friends of ours recently returned from the Cosmos 9 days (10 incl. travel) Irish Explorer trip as their first visit to Ireland and they quite enjoyed it. But she did point out they didn't really have anything to compare it to as first timers.

They were pleased with all of their hotels and meals, the bus had a good mix of nice folks from the U.S., Australia, and Canada (and a myriad of age ranges), their driver was a real gem, as was the tour director. She did mention there were quite a few things they didn't have a chance to see, as it was a but rushy, but they did enjoy themselves immensely.

The thing that stood out the most for them was the good value in general of the trip, as it was reasonably priced for what they were able to see as first time visitors. They may self-drive next time, but she said she wouldn't hesitate to certainly recommend it to others.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

Thank you

That sounds great, as a first timer I feel that a guided tour is better for me as I will be on my own.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

Thank you. This tour seems to be popular, I am looking forward to your impressions.

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
369 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 day Irish Explorer tour with Cosmos

I did this tour with my mother; it was her “dream destination”. I have to say, don’t hesitate, it is a good value for the money in that you will see the entire coast from Dublin to Dublin. In doing research for this trip, I found that Cosmos was the only one that did this. I was concerned about quality of hotels and I was also told that the group is usually younger. Not on this trip, the group was my age (over 45) and older, and there was one girl in her twenties. The group was a friendly mix of Americans, Australians, Canadians and one couple from India. I struggled with doing this tour independently which is always my preference but gave way to my limitations…I have never driven on the other side of the road and have never had to shift gears with my left hand, best for the two of us for me not to try for the first time on this, my mother’s dream trip, so I booked with Cosmos and braced myself.

Was it a bit rushed….yes, but in all fairness, you are seeing the entire coast and in places where you would like more time, (like for me, and it didn’t cross my mind till later), the Titanic Exhibition in Belfast, a fascination of mine. Had I known I could have stayed and caught a cab to our hotel before I was on the bus and on our way back to the hotel, I would have opted to do that. Once I got back to the hotel and thought about it, called the exhibition to see if they were still open, they had already closed. So my suggestion would be, if there is something you really want to spend more time at, talk to the tour director, I’m sure you will be able to catch up with the tour via cab or train. Also, you could forego an excursion event and spend more time doing what you want. In our case, we did all the excursions and enjoyed all of them.

Most importantly to note was our tour director, Allie. Allie was the best tour director that I have ever encountered and I have traveled a lot. She filled our days with interesting stories complete with laminated pictures of what she was talking about. She gave the history of where we were headed to legends, folklore and myths. She even provided explanations of the types of knots used in the sweaters and jewelry we had just purchased to all kinds of fun and interesting information including what was going on in the Country and what it is to live there. She was patient, kind and considerate of everyone, she was always calm, cool and collected and very organized.

I can’t say enough about Allie, she always made sure my mom was ok (difficulty with stairs) the rooms always ready, excursions always set-up in advance and there was never any confusion as to what we were supposed to be doing or what time to meet. Allie was flawless.

Shawn was a good driver as well, kept the bus spotless, always on time and very courteous, he was always there to help you down from the bus, which if you’re not used to it, is very nice and you miss it when he isn’t around. (he left us for two days to rest and we were given another driver, nice but not the same).

If you plan on returning to Ireland then go with another tour company that goes slower and spends more time in each location. If that isn’t your plan, then this is the way to go…but make sure you get, request and yell for Allie as your tour director, she’s the best!

Carpe diem!