We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd trip, need help with my itinerary

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
2nd trip, need help with my itinerary

The 1st time we visited, I planned everything my self. We rented a car in Dublin, drove South through the Wicklow Mtns, to Kilkenny. We toured the Rock of Cashel, stopped in Cork. Went on to Kinsale, then to Killarney for 2 days to see the Ring of Kerry (by charter bus) and the Dingle the next day on our own. On to the Cliffs of Moher, stopping in Ennis. We toured the Burren staying in Ballyvaughn. Then to Clifden for a night and returning to Dublin for 2 days. It was a whirlwind but the trip of a lifetime.

I need help however, this time I want to return to a few fave spots but am second-guessing myself, afraid I will miss something. I have made a friend in Ireland who owns a B&B in Clifden, so we will stay there for 5 days and properly tour Connemara and Galway.

I would like to stay outside of Dublin upon our arrival, somewhere close with attractions to visit. We want to visit the following places, Trim and Trim Castle, the Valley of the Boyne and the Hill of Tara, the Beara Peninsula (is it worth it?). My hubby wants to return to a town like Kilkenny or Kilkenny itself (is there anything other than the castle to do?), a charming village like Adare (we saw the Adare Manor and Abbey while there so I think we tapped out Adare). He is dead-set on Cashel again (are there any neat little towns nearby to stay in?), and we would like to explore the Ring of Kerry on our own (driving clockwise to avoid the tour busses-thanks Rick Steves).

Any words of wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
County Wicklow
County Wicklow
Province of Leinster, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Rock of Cashel
Rock of Cashel
3,441 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
The Burren
The Burren
678 Reviews
County Clare, Ireland
Clifden
Clifden
County Galway, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Trim
Trim
County Meath, Ireland
Trim Castle
Trim Castle
1,426 Reviews
Trim, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Adare Manor
Adare Manor
1,668 Reviews
Adare, Ireland
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd trip, need help with my itinerary

That's a lot of ground to cover, so I am assuming that you are spending a good amount of time in Ireland.

My recommendation for a place outside of Dublin is Malahide. Not only is this seaside town with a castle a pleasant place to stay (with many B&B choices), but it is easy driving distance to Trim, the Boyne Valley and Newgrange (trips we all made from Malahide).

Yes, the Beara Peninsula is definitely worth exploring. It was one of the unexpected highlights of our last visit to Ireland.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Trim
Trim
County Meath, Ireland
Newgrange
Newgrange
614 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
Malahide
Malahide
County Dublin, Ireland
Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd trip, need help with my itinerary

Thank you very much and yes, our 1st trip was 14 days and this trip will be 19-21 days. Any suggestions for charming (unexpected) towns? We got lucky while in Cork and sat with a local volunteering at the church there. He planned out our trip to the Dingle and we fell in love. Annascaul and the South Pole Inn was straight from my dreams.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Annascaul
Annascaul
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
South Pole Inn
South Pole Inn
435 Reviews
Annascaul, Ireland
3. Re: 2nd trip, need help with my itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 03, 2014