We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are waterproof shoes necessary?

VA
Level Contributor
222 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Are waterproof shoes necessary?

It seems a lot of travelers recommend bringing waterproof walking shoes to Ireland. I've tried several pairs, and have yet to find ones that aren't stiff and uncomfortable. I don't want to walk around in squishy, wet sneakers (trainers), but also know I need comfortable shoes. Not planning any long hikes, but do plan to be "out and about" while on an 11 day trip. Any thoughts on waterproof shoes?

France
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are waterproof shoes necessary?

why don't you wear leather boots they will not get as wet as sneakers. although when traveling in ireland last year there was rain from time to time and I've been outside without waterproof walking shoes.

if it's warm enough why don't wear flipflops?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are waterproof shoes necessary?

There are waterproofing sprays that you could use on leather shoes.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are waterproof shoes necessary?

What time of year are you coming?

If it is summer, no you don't need waterproof shoes, it will rain but not to a waterproof shoes extent. Trainers and sandals will be fine. If its winter then yes, shoes, but whether they need to be waterproof is up to you. I don't think I have ever owned any, and am not accustomed to having wet feet!

VA
Level Contributor
222 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are waterproof shoes necessary?

Doneraile, my husband and I will be there the last week of July and the first week of August. He insists that I have waterproof shoes, but I'm not so sure that's the best option for me.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are waterproof shoes necessary?

My husband and I had them when we were there last month and they came in handy! We both had north face hiking shoes and they were comfortable and water never penetrated at all.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
150 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are waterproof shoes necessary?

It probably depends on your travel plans - if you're sticking to the cities, I wouldn't sweat it much. But, if you're looking to get a little dirty, hie you hence and look for Merrell hiking boots. Incredibly comfortable, after a little breaking in - wear 'em around a Saturday or two before you leave. My elderly mother despised the clompy look of them, but by the time I was finished dragging her around the hinterlands, she blessed them roundly.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are waterproof shoes necessary?

He insists????

Why don't you show him the posting from Doneraile (who actually lives in Ireland)?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are waterproof shoes necessary?

No, longhorn, people should do as they see fit. It could easily bucket rain in July and if they are going hiking over mountains and through forests then they might be glad of them. I shall be wearing sandals till September though.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are waterproof shoes necessary?

My hubby and I got caught in a huge downpour with gusting winds in Clifden at the Kylemore Abbey. While we got soaked, it was no big deal, we asked the hotel to throw our clothes in their industrial dryer and we were set. Later, we took all of our clothes to a laundromat. I brought two pair of sneakers and a pair of pennyloafer style shoes (not leather); no fashion prize would have been awarded but I was able to tour easily and dine in a fine restaurant.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,862 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are waterproof shoes necessary?

Maybe it just because I live here that I don't posses a pair of waterproof shoes. Chris has a pair of wellies for walking the dog over the mountain and my normal work boots are fine so long as I don't paddle in deep puddles