We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medical emergencies

Rhfode Island
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
medical emergencies

So much in the Irish press about the quality of emergency medical care...many A & E facilities closed other than major cities

Ha s anyone here had an emergency and how did you handle it?

Irish folk what does one do in more remote areas?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,011 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medical emergencies

First of all you make sure you have good insurance coming over. Make sure your insurance covers you while abroad and in Europe. Read the fine print. See what it covers. Emergency repatriation is a very important one.

Then you stop worrying and deal with issues if and when they occur.

People aren't dying on the sides of the street here. If there isn't an emergency A&E nearby there is usually an ambulance nearby that will be summoned in case of emergency. In many of the smaller towns there are defibrillators (i.e. Mountshannon has one on the Main Street)

There are also GP services and out of hours services.

When my husband fell and broke his wrist while walking on the mountain behind Torc Waterfall, he had our two younger children with him - I was down at the bottom. He used his camera as a temporary sling and walked down slowly. I met him at the waterfall and we walked down. I always keep a first aid kit in the car so I put his arm in a sling, dropped the younger two off to the house we were staying in (their elder sister was there) and then drove hubby to Tralee General Hospital (having checked with someone that the orthopaedic unit in Tralee was good - otherwise I'd have driven to either Cork or Limerick).

In the event he was treated exceptionally well. They couldn't set it that night under GA as it wasn't an emergency. So they put him in a temporary cast and we drove back home (well actually into Killarney town where he had a one-handed meal and pint of Guinness!!). Then the following morning I drove him over to Tralee again, handed him over to the nurses and drove back to Killarney. I picked up the younger two and went over to Deerpark to get him a pillow for his cast and to get some chocolates for the nurses.

I hadn't even started shopping when I got a call from the nursing staff to tell me that hubby was out of theatre, everything went fine and that he was in good form. I collected him that afternoon (exchanged him for chocolate lol!!) and we went home to Limerick the following day. The staff in Limerick were full of praise for the work done. And despite it being a bad break he has recovered fully.

If all else fails there are rescue helicopters that will bring someone from a remote location to hospital in an emergency. Please do not worry. There are some scary stories out there but my experience of hospitals here has been that in an emergency everyone will do their utmost for the patient and to try and ensure a positive outcome.

Mentioned in this post
Torc Waterfall
Torc Waterfall
2,982 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Europe
Europe
World
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: medical emergencies

'what to do in a remote area' - where are you going?!!

Ireland is not a third world country, its not the jungle or the Sahara.

I cant think of anywhere that you couldnt find a local to help, or call a doctor for you.

Ha, Bean, we've been to Tralle hospital too. First visit to Dingle hubby had a kidney stone, had an overnighter in hopsital, treated very well. DD was hoping he would be there for a month so that we could stay longer!!

I recommended Dingle to friends, on thier first trip their daughter in law got appendicitis and had her appendix out in Tralee hosital.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: medical emergencies

Just remember that the emergency phone number in Ireland for ambulance, police, fire brigade etc. is 999 or 112.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Rhfode Island
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: medical emergencies

Thanks all for your prompt and reassuring replies...good bits of info as well. I plan to check the travel policy I took reading the fine print at Bean's suggestion! Thanks all

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,960 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: medical emergencies

Depends on the emergency. out here 12 miles from the nearest town, 30 miles from the nearest hospital the local Dr has an estate car that doubles as an ambulance an we have a few Defibrillators at key points with contact numbers for those trained in there use, When I needed rushing in one of the neighbours took me in his van.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medical emergencies

There is a scarcity of hospitals down the SE coast [Wicklow & Wexford]. the distance from Wexford General to Loughlinstown is 75 miles.

Mentioned in this post
County Wicklow
County Wicklow
Province of Leinster, Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
County Wexford, Ireland
Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: medical emergencies

I had never even thought about this issue. A week or so ago I signed up for a 30 day health insurance/repatriation plan managed by America Express. The small cost of the plan is well worth the peace of mind it buys.

The other point is that I'm a big believer in training provided by the Red Cross. The American Red Cross offers local courses in emergency care and I take one every few years. I'm sure that the Red Cross in other countries offer the same courses. Your best insurance policy is having some idea of what to do in an emergency.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: medical emergencies

Don't worry its not a third world country. Ireland has excellent health care facilities and professionals. Some better than here in the UK. Just make sure your insurance will cover you. They have great out of hours GPs if you're not near a hospital. Health care is very good there but expensive for the Irish.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
9. Re: medical emergencies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 23, 2014