We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

Corona, California...
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

Good Day,

We(me and my wife) are looking into booking a trip to ireland and needed some advise from some locals of from someone who has been there.

Our Itinerary is as follows, we arrive saturday afternoon into Dublin and we leave Sunday morning a week later. basically we have 6 full days.

We are planning on renting a car and driving through the country...our plans so far are the following:

Sun & Mon in Dublin and vicinity. (Trinity College, National Museum, St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin Castle, Guinness Store House) Any other must see sites??

Tue early am driving to Galway. (On our way we plan on seeing Clonmacnoise, we will drive a loop around Connemara before arriving at Galway) Any other must see sites??

Wed Morning Galway and vicinity. (Is 1 day enough to tour the city? Should we drive to Limerick that afternoon and spend the night there?)

Wed afternoon driving to Limerick (Through Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Ennis) Any recommendations??

Thur morning drive to Killarney (Through Connor pass, Dingle, Slea head)

Thur Afternoon arrive at Killarney

Fri morning Visit Ring of Kerry

Fri afternoon drive to cork.

Sat Morning drive to Dublin through Ardmore, Dungarvan & Kilkenny.

Sunday am departure....

Reading back through it, it seams like a very tight schedule...Any thoughts are appreciated :-)

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

Way too much driving for me. You'll end up seeing most of the places you pass through the windscreen-as you won't really have to stop. Have a look at the route planner at aaaroadwatch.ie and add on at least 25%. Many of the roads you will travel have a max speed of 80km per hour, but you haven't a hope of getting above 40 in places, especially if you have never driven in Ireland before.

The max speed once you start to climb the Conor Pass would be 40 km -and you my have to come to a standstill there and around Slea head if you meet traffic coming the other way. Roads around the Burren Cliffs of Moher and Clonmcnoise aren't 8 lane highways either.

I think you need to seriously reconsider and actually make time to enjoy some places rather than tick off a list of places on some list.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

Suggest you first get a good road map of Ireland. Mapquest also works for Ireland, but you can add about 25-35% to all travel times they quote. Your itinerary is...well....impossible without long days of driving and perhaps sleeping in your car. Some of it is just impossible in a single day without (as one of the TA DE's just said on another thread) a hellicopter. Less is more in Ireland.

FYI - We are going back in May for visit #4.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,007 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

agree with harvey, something needs to go...you have no time to "see" much, just a lot of bum time in the rental....would strongly suggest to cut several places so you can stop and smell the wild flowers....

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

I would cut out Cork entirely, n othing wrong with Cork, but you just dont have the time, you will see everything through the windscreen. Arrive Killarney Thursday pm - leave Saturday morning. This still gives you very little time in Killarney to see half the things there.

Corona, California...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

Thanks for your input, we limited our trip to visit Dublin, Galway and Kilarnney.

We are now thinking Sat Evening, Sun, Mon, Tue in Dublin.

Wed Morning, Thur Galway.

Thur Evening, Fri, Sat Kilarnney.

Sat Evening Back to Dublin

Sun Morning Departure.

What do you think?

Corona, California...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

Thanks for your input, we limited our trip to visit Dublin, Galway and Kilarnney.

We are now thinking Sat Evening, Sun, Mon, Tue in Dublin.

Wed Morning, Thur Galway.

Thur Evening, Fri, Sat Kilarnney.

Sat Evening Back to Dublin

Sun Morning Departure.

What do you think? Where do you recommend Staying?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

Personally (and Im not very knowledgable in this area) I would either use one of those days in Dublin to do a day trip to Newgrange/monasterboice/ mellifont or to Glendalough, Wicklow. Or I would take a day off Dublin and add it to Galway to include a day trip to Inis mor. This would allow an afternoon in Galway itself, an Aran island and a day to explore

Connemara.

Edited: 2:15 am, March 27, 2013
8. Re: Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, March 27, 2013
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,007 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

is there a reason for 5 nights in dublin?....i would suggest 2 nights at the beginning and add 1 day to galway area and 1 to killarney....just a thought...

Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed for a 6 day trip through Ireland :-)

I would spend 3 days in Dublin to explore the city and I would take one or two day tours to the surrounding areas. Options could be Newgrange, Wicklow National Park and Glendalogh or the medieval city of Kilkenny. There are also day trips departing from Dublin to the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland.

Or, as the others already suggested, add one day to Galway, the city is really nice with a lively atmosphere. From there you could also go to the savage region of Connemara or to the Burren, a paradise for walkers.