We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

St. Louis
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

We are leaving in less than one week for 9 days in Ireland!!!! I'm looking over my trip and hope we have covered enough but won't make ourselves crazy with all the driving. By the way what is the average price of gas in Ireland right now?

Is Doolin a good stop or should we stay in Ennis instead?

Our trip is as follows:

Day 1 – Saturday, May 20 – Arrive Shannon 5:45 am

Drive to Killarney and spend the night at Eloyd House, Ross Road, Killarney, www.elyodhouse.ie

Day 2 – Sunday, May 21

Ring of Kerry, and spend the night in Killarney

Day 3 – Monday, May 22

Dingle Pennisula and spend the night in Dingle

Day 4 – Tuesday, May 23

Drive to Doolin via Cliffs of Moher; spend night in Doolin

Day 5 – Wednesday, May 24

Doolin to Aran Islands for day to spend night in Galway

Day 6 – Thursday, May 25

Spend day and night in Galway

Day 7 – Friday, May 26

Drive to Clifden and spend night

Day 8 – Saturday, May 27

Drive to Bunratty and spend night @ Clare Inn (Drinks at Dromoland)

Day 9 – Sunday, May 28 - Depart Shannon 3:45 pm

Bunratty Castle and folk park

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,298 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

I think your itinerary looks great - Doolin is ideal if you are going to the Islands.

Check out www.pigsback.com Search for Shannonside Tourism - they sometimes have printable vouchers where you can get 2 for the price of 1 on certain attractions in the Limerick and Clare area. If it saves you the price of a pint - Great!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,132 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

Day 4 - "Drive to Doolin via Cliffs of Moher" is confusing...the Cliffs are only a couple miles from Doolin, are you taking the Shannon Ferry across from Kerry or going around Limerick? I'd go with the ferry...

Day 5 - "Doolin to Aran Islands for day to spend night in Galway"...the trip to the Arans is a full day trip for most people. By the time you get back to Doolin it will be 5:00 p.m. Plenty of daylight left, but a full day out on the island followed by a 90 minute drive to Galway is too much of a full day for me, I'd hang around Doolin for another night. Or drive to Galway on the 25th and spend the day there, taking the Aran ferry from Rossaveal on the 26th.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

The average price of Gas in Ireland is currently between €1.14 per litre up to €1.28 in some places. This equates to between $5.48 up to $6.15 per gallon of Gas.

Please make sure you refer to Gas as Petrol when you come to Ireland.

BTW Itenerary looks great. Your covering all the hotspots.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

With gas that expensive is there any driving we should cut out and spend more time in one of the places we are already planning on visiting? What about Clifden?????

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

irish, as irishfan pointed out, your doolin/aran island day will be a late evening before you get to galway and i agree that maybe staying in doolin again and got to galway the next day would be less tiring....

you have several really really long days with doing ROK in one day, there wont' be anything else you will see that day, and dingle can be driven around in one day but you won't have much time to stop and really enjoy everything, and won't have time to hop over to the blaskets, which is amazing to me......but hey, whatever works for you is the thing to do, just have fun...

as for doolin versus ennis, i would choose doolin everytime....

don't let the cost of petrol worry you, we stay 17-18 days and drive plenty and end up only buying 3 tanks of fuel and then the top off before we return the car....incidentally, do not let them charge you for the tank of gas when you pick up the car, tell them you will bring it back full because their charge is about 3 times what it cost to fill it yourself.....

Auckland, Nz
Level Contributor
51 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

Interesting to see your note.... I am leaving for Ireland on May 21 too and struggling with some of the same issues. We won't hit southwestern Ireland until May 24 though.

My main question to the experts here is, after spending 2-3 nights in Dingle, is a drive up to Galway, via the Killimer-Tarbert ferry and taking in the Cliffs of Moher -- too much for one day?

Thanks ever so much -

Susan

illinois
Level Contributor
177 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

Susan --

From http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/

From Dingle,Kerry

Via Tarbert,Kerry

Cliffs of Moher,Clare

To Galway,Galway

Distance 190.6 miles | Time 6 hr 26 min

After the Cliffs, you might stay in Doolin and cut 50 miles and 1 1/2 hours off that day's really long drive. Doolin is known for nightly traditional music, some calling it the Traditional Music Capial of Ireland.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

suuzin, that is a really long drive...you are about 6-7 hours of just driving, as nddad mentioned...i would maybe head for doolin as well...of course that is still a good bit of driving but with stops in between it won't seem so tiring.....

i learned the first time i went to ireland that i couldn't see it all no matter how hard i tried....and we were exhausted at the end of each day after doing a lot of driving and i vowed to never ruin another trip doing it again...after 6 trips, i still haven't seen it all but i know, if God is willing, there will be more and if not, i have throughly enjoyed all of my trips there and seen a lot more than some folks will ever get the chance to see...

have a wonderful time.....

Auckland, Nz
Level Contributor
51 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

Thanks so much for this feedback. We have a friend we can stay with for free in Galway, so I didn't think stopping in Doolin would be worth it, but you might be changing my mind... what I see from that aaroadwatch site is that if we didn't take the auto ferry, we can be in Galway in 4 hours, 10 mins? That doesn't seem so bad but does it give us enough time to really explore the Cliffs and the Burren? Probably not, I'm assuming. On another question then, would it be too much to explore the Burren and Connemara in a single day if we started out from Doolin and then stayed the next night in Galway?

Thanks to the original poster for letting me cut in on this conversation... :)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Final Itinerary - Feedback Requested

suuz, if you are still planning your same sites to see it will not be a shorter drive eliminating the ferry....the ferry cuts off miles...just remember driving times are for the locals usually....lol...we have always found that if we add about 25% to the driving time, it is more accurate for us yanks....lol.....

i think visiting the burren and connemara in one day is possible but i can't remember how long it took us...i know i could spend a whole day in either place...we stopped about 15 times in the burren to take pics of the spectacular views, the dolman, etc....and then we visited the burren perfumery and that was great.....

the same goes for the cliffs and the burren, but we have done both in the same day...

whatever you decide to do, you will have a grand time...