We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Day Trip in July. Where to go and what to do?

Somerset, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
10 Day Trip in July. Where to go and what to do?

My parents, husband, and I are planning a mid July trip this year to Ireland. We plan on flying into Dublin, staying a few days, then having 6-7 days to drive around. We would like to see the Atlantic Coast side mainly, between Galway and Cork, with stops in Limerick, Killarney, and a few other places. We aren't really sure where to head from Dublin and what specific places to see along the way. We are interested in historical sites/cultural landmarks, scenic lanscapes, and local shops and restaurants. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Day Trip in July. Where to go and what to do?

6-7 days isn't a lot to see what you have listed. Where are you flying out of?

Most of what you have listed will have historical and cultural sites, scenic landscapes and local shops and restaurants. It really just depends on what you want the emphasis of your trip to be

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
517 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Day Trip in July. Where to go and what to do?

Unless there is something specifically you want to see in Dublin, I'd consider flying into Shannon. Everything else you want to see is nearer. Our favorite place, Skellig Michael off the coast of Ring of Kerry. There is a weather dependent boat ride and a fairly decent climb to the top. All well worth it. And the drive around ROK is spectacular. Next would be Dingle Peninsula. Some great drives and hikes. Cliffs of Moher, and Connemara also both worth visiting. But you probably want to start booking sooner than later. I'd also get the book "Back Roads Ireland". Very helpful.

Edited: 5:37 pm, February 10, 2013
Kells, Ireland
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Day Trip in July. Where to go and what to do?

If you are interested in the history of Ireland then the Boyne Valley Driving Route would be perfect for you.

It is just outside of Dublin, and encompasses Counties Meath, Louyh and a bit of Westmeath.

This is the richest area in all of Ireland for seeing historical sites.

Sir William Wilde, the father of Oscar Wilde, wrote in his book "The Beauties of the Boyne" (1849)” – that “we fear not to assert that the history of Ireland might be written in tracing its banks.”

And he was right - along this are of the Boyne Valley, you will find tombs over 2,000 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza, and 1000+ years older than Stonehenge.

You will see fantastic castles, including a castle that part of Braveheart was filmed in.

You will see the best collection of high crosses and where the Book of Kells came from.

You will see where the High Kings of Ireland ruled from, thousands of years ago.

You can drive past the area where the ancient Greek Olympic Games are believed to have originated from.

Fáilte Ireland have produced a quick guide to the Boyne Valley entitled "Discover Ireland's Rich Heritage" - and you can peruse it here - discoverireland.ie/getmedia/830e62f9-2cf6-40…

I wish you a great visit to Ireland! I envy you your first trip - I remember mine and it was a magical time!

4. Re: 10 Day Trip in July. Where to go and what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 13, 2014