We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Ireland

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Ireland

My husband and I are going to Ireland in March and will be there for 10 days. We arrive in Dublin and then travel to the south and up the west coast then back to Dublin via car. We have no guidance on where to visit really. Thank you!

Lowell...
Level Contributor
73 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Ireland

What are your interests?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
441 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Ireland

Check out the itineraries people have posted. It'll give you an idea of things to do and see.

US
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Ireland

It is really great feeling to travel first time place like Ireland.

Kells, Ireland
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Ireland

Just posted this in reply to someone else earlier - I have no shame in copying and pasting!

I really did enjoy my first visit to Ireland 21 years ago and although it is a lot more modern now, there is still a sense of wonder about the place!

Here goes:

If you are interested in the history of Ireland then the Boyne Valley Driving Route would be perfect for you.

It is just outside of Dublin, and encompasses Counties Meath, Louyh and a bit of Westmeath.

This is the richest area in all of Ireland for seeing historical sites.

Sir William Wilde, the father of Oscar Wilde, wrote in his book "The Beauties of the Boyne" (1849)” – that “we fear not to assert that the history of Ireland might be written in tracing its banks.”

And he was right - along this are of the Boyne Valley, you will find tombs over 2,000 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza, and 1000+ years older than Stonehenge.

You will see fantastic castles, including a castle that part of Braveheart was filmed in.

You will see the best collection of high crosses and where the Book of Kells came from.

You will see where the High Kings of Ireland ruled from, thousands of years ago.

You can drive past the area where the ancient Greek Olympic Games are believed to have originated from.

Stop for a bit of craic and music in a gaeltacht area (Irish speaking).

Fáilte Ireland have produced a quick guide to the Boyne Valley entitled "Discover Ireland's Rich Heritage" - and you can peruse it here - discoverireland.ie/getmedia/830e62f9-2cf6-40…

Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Ireland

You will love it there! If you could tell me more about your interests the I could give you more specific information. This itinerary has samples of both urban and rural life and takes you round a great part of the whole isle. You could fly into Dublin and spent a day and night there. You could go see the Guinness Store House, the Leprechaun Museum, Temple Bar, there is so much to do and see that you could fill your whole trip here. Just strolling through the city centre will give you so much variety! From Dublin make your way up to Belfast. This is a direct 2 hour drive or you can take the scenic route along the coast. It's truly a sight to see and completely different from the lively Dublin!

Belfast is a city known for its music. Visit the Titanic Experience during the day, a nice dinner in the Cathedral District and maybe a music or comedy show at night. Go up to Derry-Londonderry, but makes sure to stop at the Giant's Causeway! This UNESCO world heritage site is near the little town of Bushmills! (Famous for its whiskey distillery)

Derry-Londonderry, the UK's City of Cultural Capital, has both the history and the city life. A walk on their city wall will give you a fabulous panoramic view of the city, take in the murals depicting the city's history and at night you could take in a comedy show. This could take 4 to 5 days depending on how much you like the spaces and the speed in which you will want to travel. Make your way to Sligo City, which is lovingly dubbed the Wild West of Ireland. This region is perfect if you are into surfing and other water based activities. Some might tell you, that here you will encounter the best sunsets, but why take my word if you could check yourself ;-) Continuing your journey with a trip to Westport in County Mayo. Their bay is gorgeous and legend has it that there is an island in the bay for each day of the year. Also, from here on Connemara is really accessible. This famed region is ideal for walks, bicycling and photography. From here a visit to Galway City, a small city with a huge appeal and great as a starting point to places like the Burren National Park, a boat trip to the Aran Islands and famous cliffs of Moher.

As we are now approaching day 8/9 it would be wise to make your way back into the direction of Dublin. A stop in Athlone is a nice moment to unwind and take it majestic, gorgeous sites before heading back to the busy city. You could take a stroll past the Shannon, visit Athlone Castle or do some last minute souvenir shopping in Town's Centre (Ireland's biggest mall, excluding Dublin) Then the moment you'll dread, your last day. Just as close as 15 minutes from the uproar of Dublin's urbanity, you will find some fabulous beaches. Hope you will love Ireland as much as I do

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Ireland

Thank you guys! We ended up getting the Dublin 2 day pass and tickets to the hop on and off bus. It was amazing! Thank you so much for your help. I am sorry I didn't say it sooner! I can't wait to go back to Ireland. It has made me dislike being in this land locked state with limited walking so much. Again thank you!!!

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Ireland

what places did you go to in the end ?

glad you enjoyed it

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Ireland

We started in Dublin and then went to Kilkenny for a night after we went to Kilarney for two nights. After that adventure we stayed at the Dromoland Castle for some much needed relaxation. It is a magical place! The hawk walk is amazing. After we stopped in Galway for a night then back to Dublin. The wax museum in Dublin is great. I can't believe all the hidden treasures that can be found in each city. Now we are just trying to figure out where next year will take us.

9. Re: First time to Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 24, 2014