We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Map recommendation

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
167 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Map recommendation

We are going to be driving around in the fall and I think I need to get a good map in order to figure out how far we should drive every night and so on. Any suggestions?

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Map recommendation

I like Michelin, used it at every travel in Ireland http://www.maps.com/map.aspx?pid=10996

Beware of what looks like a short distance on a road map, to plan your daily driving -- driving in Ireland takes a LOT more time than what you may expect :)

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Map recommendation

Incidentally, exploring the online map may help you in your planning http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Maps - just type Ireland in the search box to the left, and you are good to go.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Map recommendation

Check Amazon, search box Ireland Map Spiral. You want a spiral version to make it much easier. I would also suggest going on ebay and find an Ireland map GPS, we bought a new one for $10, used once on a trip and resold.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Map recommendation

The best map is the OSI Road Atlas Ireland, published jointly by the mapping agencies of the governments of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. It is updated annually and accurately details even minor roads. It is wire-bound and easy to use in a car. You can find it fairly readily in most bookshops in Ireland - cost locally is about €10.

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
496 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Map recommendation

As Domhnall said, the OSI map book is good. We ordered it ahead so we could check it out before we left. Very similar to Gazetteer Map books here in the US. Not a full Irish map per se, but very concise full page area maps that cover the whole country. We thought it work very well in conjunction with our TomTom to which we downloaded UK/Ireland maps at the cost of $60 or so. Have a great trip!!

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
167 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Map recommendation

Thanks for all the recommendations. I will check them all out. As for the GPS, can one get a unit on a rental car?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
527 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Map recommendation

Definitely vote for the spiral version. The Michelin map is wonderful, but will almost certainly cause a car accident if fully opened in the car. Right now it is filling half of our dining room table fully unfolded. We bought the OS spiral atlas. Only problem is that one of our destinations (Kilkee) is split by the spiral on one page and crossed by the colored frame on another. Folks from Kilkee should be insulted! I also have the AA atlas on order, but for some reason it's taking awhile to ship from Amazon.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Map recommendation

You can get one on the rental car, but for the money they charge, you are far better off bringing your own.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Map recommendation

I paid about 15 euros per day for a gps so it is not cheap but was worth every euro! If you have your own portable gps , consider downloading Europe maps, especially if you are planning more trips to European destinations. I had both the OSIS map and gps - both were invaluable.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,970 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Map recommendation

We've made two driving trips through Ireland with just a road map. If you can read a map, you don't really need to spend all that money on a GPS.