We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Ireland

Lincolnton, Georgia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
1st trip to Ireland

My husband and I are visiting Ireland (for our first and possibly only trip to Ireland) in late May. Our time is limited to 6 days and I have reservations to spend 2 nights in Dingle town. We love the coast and photography, yet want to visit some of the villages and mingle with the locals to enjoy good foods and beer (Guinness on tap). Even with the limited time, I was so hoping to make a day trip along the Antrim coast and see the Giant's Causeway.

I was looking toward the Cliffs of Moyer as a stopping point, but was discourged at the reviews. Any suggestions for stopping points from Dingle to the Giant's Causeway for natural beauty, less crowds, good photo ops, and some local atmosphere?

I know Ireland is beautiful and want to make the most of my trip, yet with the limited time we have available, it seems almost impossible determine which locations to settle on.

Thanks in advance!

Sherry

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to Ireland

Oh dear!!

With only six days, you have chosed the two furthest apart points in Ireland !!

I would urge you to reconsider, drop one or other of them, and concentrate on the area around the other, unless that is, you want to spend the majority of your time in a car.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to Ireland

Dingle and the Giants Causeway are not very close to each other! I'd do one or the other.

Where are you flying in and out of?

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
502 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to Ireland

Our favorite stop in Ireland, Skellig Michael. An island off Ring of Kerry. Within striking distance of Dingle and with some great views and photo ops. Plan a whole day and reserve your boat trip out. The boats dont run if the seas are rough. On Dingle Penninsla Connor Pass is a nice drive. Also Pass of Caher Conree is pretty. There is also a decent hike there to the "Iron Age Fort". This is a climb over marshy ground but the view from atop is well worth it.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to Ireland

I have to agree - please choose one or the other. If you have reservations in dingle, then that is the decision made! Trust me, you will find more than enough great sights and scenery to fill your time - and you will have a fantastic trip - with time to relax and enjoy it:)

I loved skellig micheal also so a second vote for that

Edited: 8:58 am, February 07, 2013
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to Ireland

If you are over at the end of May starting in Dublin then once you land get a Bus to Belfast. Have night one and two there for a day trip to Antrim Coast and Glens (inc Causeway) Bus back to the air port and pick up the rental car. Drive down to Dingle, (long drive but possible) nights 3 and 4, From there to Ennis if the dates fit with the Fleda Nua 19-27th May. night 5 then past the Cliffs on the way back to Dublin Airport hotel night 6.

I do not like the Cliffs of Moher compared to as it was 7 or 8 years ago but don't totally disregard the place based on the possibly bad weather. doing that you might as well forget Slea Head which is also exposed to the Atlantic weather.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
826 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to Ireland

Hello. tony2phones has given you some very interesting and good advice. It would be slam-bam, but it is possible and it would get it done. Good food for thought. Enjoy.

Tralee
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to Ireland

Could also look at getting train from Dublin to Killarney an hiring car there for the Dingle / Ennis leg ....then train back to Dublin from Killarney again

Lincolnton, Georgia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip to Ireland

We are flying in and out of Dublin...

We will have a rental car for the duration of the trip.

I have made reservations for the 1st two nights in Dingle.

After trying so hard to figure out the trip with so many destinations, I'm starting to realize, it may be too exhauting too attempt Dingle and the Giant's Causeway. . . .

Really wanted to get to the Giant's Causeway, but don't want to rush our visit to the point of missing out on so many other opportunities closer to Dingle.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated .

Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip to Ireland

So getting off a transatlantic red eye and jumping in a strange car in a strange country on the wrong side of strange roads. 220 miles, about 5 hours.

Lets hope you don't discover why US visitors pay so much more for Car Insurance.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip to Ireland

To save some time you should have really flown in and out of Shannon if you were headed to the west coast. Although there aren't as many flights anymore. I also think Tony's idea is a good one. Enjoy.