We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rock of Cashel visit

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
835 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Rock of Cashel visit

After a stay of several days in Dublin. My wife and I would like to visit the Rock of Cashel. However we are hesitating between staying overnight in Cashel, or visiting the site from a day trip from Cork.

This will be our first trip to Ireland, and we unsure how long it will take to visit Cashel, or whether is more convenient to stay in Cashel for a day or two and visit other sites nearby.

Since we are planing to use public transportation to travel to Cashel and Cork, we would also like to hear opinions and recommendations about it.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rock of Cashel visit

You can take an organised tour (seasonal) to the ROC from Dublin. That is how I would do it.

There are no organised tours from ROC from Cork City. There is no need to overnight in Cashel if you do not have your own transport. Cashel town (very small town) does not have any other attrractions apart from ROC, and visit duration to this site is about 2 hours.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rock of Cashel visit

Cashel and Cahir are close enough together and whilst I wouldn't overnight in Cashel unless there was an event I was attending at Brú Ború even then I might be more tempted by Cahir. Have a look at the Bolton Library while in Cashel and there is the Folk Museum but that's not the finest example. Cahir has the Castle, and Swiss cottage plus a genuine Castle B&B.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rock of Cashel visit

If you do stay in Cashel, dine here.

www.chezhans.net/

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rock of Cashel visit

My g0d, is chez hans still trading?? They have been there forever !!! Fair play to them. Never dined there .

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
835 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rock of Cashel visit

Thank you all for your comments.

I have done some searching and have been unable to locate an organized tour to the ROC from Dublin. Paddywagontours which used to offer one has just communicated that their tour is no longer available.

As some of you have mentioned, there seems to be not one from Cork either. Therefore it seems like I will have to use bus transportation to get to the ROC on my own.

Thanks again.

Ireland
Level Contributor
565 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rock of Cashel visit

Post 4 at:

tripadvisor.ie/…43836692

may be of help. The fares quoted have increased a little since I wrote this post.

It's been my experience that the Dublin to Cork bus which serves Cashel and Cahir can often lose 30 to 40 minutes en route so if travelling by coach it's advisable to bear this in mind.

7. Re: Rock of Cashel visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 07, 2014