We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Dublin

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
825 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips from Dublin

My wife and I will be traveling to Ireland in early April 2013. We plan to spend about 3 days in Dublin and we would like to take at least one day - trip to surrounding places of interest.

We have thought of Glendalough, Powerscourt Garden and Wicklow Mountains, or perhaps, Newrange and Boyne Valley, taking the Bus Eirean scheduled tours. Unfortunately these run only twice a week.

We would like to know about other recommended sites for a day trip, or some alternative to Bus Eirean, perhaps one that runs more often.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Dublin

There will be organised tours (non Bus Eireann) to those sights in April. Just google the places you want to visit and you will be directed to appropriate web sites.

I previously recommended a company named Wild Wicklow tours for the Glendalough guided tour, but a recent review of that particular tour and how it was run did not impress me. However if you check the website it might impress you.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,744 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Dublin

Contrary to what you might hear on here, this one is good.

www.paddywagontours.com/

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Dublin

You could consider taking the DART out to South County Dublin, although not too far out, it is definately a worthwhile visit. I suggest you take the DART to Killiney and walk back to Dalkey, where you can have a fabulous walk along the coastal region and end up browsing around the small village of Dalkey, host to some really good restaurants and coffee shops.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Dublin

can't agree that paddywagon is good, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,413 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Dublin

Harvey, would you please tell us why you wouldn't recommend paddywagon, I know nothing about any of them. Who would you recommend for tours out of Dublin.

Thank you

Collie

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips from Dublin

Harvey saw an exposé TV program which picked out a tour with a new inexperienced guide and made the whole operation look farcical.

Whilst I have not used Paddywagon myself I have crossed paths with folk on their tours. Basically if you don't take yourself too seriously and have an under 50's mind set they are a good option.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,413 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips from Dublin

Tony, thanks for the reply I'm just trying to figure out what the heck to ,we are going to rent a car but would rather take a tour out for the first day and not have to drive, the under 50 crowd probably would not include me, lol.

I'm still looking into places to stay for a night or two in Dublin. You are always so helpful to people and I just want to thank you on behalf of many of us for all our repetitive and sometimes stupid questions.

Collie

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips from Dublin

colliegirl maybe better starting a new thread with a bit of info on itinerary and rough dates just to get more informed input.

As to tours,, Wild Wicklow generally get good reviews not sure about one Bryno read but even God gets a bad rep now and then.

Repetitive questions are permitted, stupid questions are generally treated in the manor they deserve.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips from Dublin

Not a TV programme, it was radio and owner/ manager told people to make stuff up ,they are tourists, keep mentioning leprechauns and beer and they'll swallow it. The reality TV programme was cat.too but what totally finished me was a "guide" at a local site to me. I had some pupils up to see it and they were gobsmacked to hear the drivel the "guide" was spouting and they wanted to run after the tourists and set them right and to send in a complaint to the owner/manager.

He is also the guy who painted a buildling in Annascual luminous green and renamed it the "Randy Leprechaun". If all of the above appeals, then go with it, but if you want a real not "plastic paddy" Ireland trip AVOID

Edited: 8:42 pm, December 08, 2012
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,413 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips from Dublin

Harvey, thank you for the input. I think that kind of info is appalling for the lack of a better word. We had a little bit of that on trip to Egypt in March but I knew better, however it made me angry, it's a big con job.

I'll do as Tony said and try and start a new thread.

Thanks again to both of you.

Collie