We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Ireland

Marietta, GA
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Driving in Ireland

Just finished 10 days of driving a rental car in Ireland; this is 5th time and here are some thoughts to make it work on left side:

1. You must align yourself from middle of road not the shoulder, once you are comfortable doing this, you are on your way.

2. You must concentrate every second, especially on narrow roads.

3. There are many round-abouts, many! Remember, yield to traffic coming from your right. If you miss your exit, go around again.

3.3. Whenever you stop to eat, get gas or take a break, remind yourself before returning to the road that you will go left not right...might save your life.

4. GPS or SatNav device is good idea.

5. Some Motorways have tolls.

6. Automatic transmissions are more expensive than stick shift. If you rent a stick shift, practice a bit before hitting the roads.

7. When parking be sure to check if a you need to pay and put the receipt in the window.

8. And finally, no matter how fast you think you are driving, you will always average 44 mph!!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,965 posts
1. Re: Driving in Ireland

Some good advice there. But were you to average forty four, you'd surely be done for speeding.

"Safety fast."

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
2. Re: Driving in Ireland

"You must concentrate every second, especially on narrow roads."

Do you not concentrate every wecond when driving in GA?

I don't get the whole driving in Ireland thing. I drive on the "wrong side" every year without incident, as do millions of others. US driver must be among the worst in the world or I'm among the best. The second part of that is the most unlikely.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,180 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Driving in Ireland

Lots of visitors, particularly from the US have a perceived fear of driving in Ireland this post might go some way to easing those fears.

Thanks for posting your experience.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Driving in Ireland

Speaking of getting gas, are there gas stations everywhere or do you to really be carefull and always have 1/2 tank or so? Can you use a US Visa card at the gas pump or is it a cash only type thing? Also, to determine how much gas money I need what does the typical rental car get for milelage and how much does gas cost? Thanks!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,905 posts
88 reviews
5. Re: Driving in Ireland

1. There are Petrol Stations in many places but not in the more rural areas. If you make it to a town rather than a village you will be fine.

2. You can use visa cards at the petrol stations. Some (Tesco) can be used card at pump, others you will have to go to the cash desk (in a building beside the pumps)

3. If you get a diesel car you are going to get more miles to your litre. Prices are going up significantly in price so what we say today might be totally wrong by Friday. Current price of diesel is €1.60 a litre, Petrol/Gas €1.70+. These are just the cheapest prices in Limerick at the moment and might be significantly more expensive in other locations.

Please note that fuel is dispensed in litres here and official mileage is in kilometers.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
414 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: Driving in Ireland

We just returned from Ireland - we found the gas prices to be pretty much the same every where we went - basically about €1.60. The only place I saw it higher was near the Dublin airport, but even then, it wasn't a significant difference.

We had car that took diesel which was recommended for its better gas mileage. As for how much to estimate, I can't answer that. My husband paid for the gas - I have no idea how many kilometers we drove nor how big the tank was in the car. I do know that for how many miles we ended up driving, I was surprised that we didn't have to fill up more often.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
226 reviews
7. Re: Driving in Ireland

That's a good point - you will find that cars in Ireland and generally way more fuel efficient than you are used to in the US.

Marietta, GA
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Driving in Ireland

Thanks for the note. Since the Motorways allow for 125/kpm, one can safely travel at higher speeds with no fear of the Guarda.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,965 posts
9. Re: Driving in Ireland

Don't count on it. I got pulled once on the I 90 at less than that.

Safety fast.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
10. Re: Driving in Ireland

The motorway speed limits are 120kph max. There are speed checks by the Garda and by the dedicated speed checkers who move from place to place around the country. They could literally be anywhere and if you are speeding you will be fined and issued penalty points. If you have a US licence you wont receive points but I'm sure the rental company will pass on the fine