We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

excess insurance for car hire help

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Topic
excess insurance for car hire help

Hi all. I've been trying to navigate the hiring of a car in Dublin when I arrive next week. Our plan was to pick up at the airport when we leave Dublin and return 11 days later. After getting quotes and reading a great many posts on this site and others I had decided that I would hire from Dooley and get excess insurance from insurance4carhire. However when I went to their site it says that their products are only available to people who live in the European Economic area. I am a US resident. Can anyone explain this to me?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: excess insurance for car hire help

Their web site design is costing them an awful lot of money...As I understand it from long drawn out email conversations their Annual policy is EU only (with exceptions) but their Daily insurance (for as many days as anyone wants) is available to the holder of any valid driving licence issued anywhere in the world. You would have to contact them directly on this.

An option http://www.carhireexcess.com/ or possibly http://questor-insurance.co.uk/

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: excess insurance for car hire help

Thanks Tony. What a pain this is. I tried to purchase daily insurance from icarhireinsurance which I thought was going to be fine, better rates than insurance4carhire, until it asked for my country of residence and only EU countries were on the list. I've read posts on this site by Americans who have purchased this insurance but maybe something has changed or maybe as you said I need to contact them directly. Just haven't had the time. I suspect I will end up buying it from Dan Dooley at the rental counter. Sigh...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: excess insurance for car hire help

Its probably 12 months since Insurance4carhire changed underwriters.

I wish they would sort themselves a more user friendly web site.

Have just emailed for more clarification?

Edited: 8:59 am, August 06, 2012
London
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: excess insurance for car hire help

Hi there, probably your best is Questor they say "Don't live in the UK and want to buy Questor car hire excess insurance? No problem. Car hire and Motorhome Hire insurance products available to residents worldwide with Questor Insurance" Visit them by using this link www.questor-insurance.co.uk/affiliate/… . Do take care when you collect the car in Ireland. Unfortunately many of the car hire companies have got a very bad name by saying the excess insurance you have purchased is no good and the only reason they do this is because they want you to buy their product and earn commission. Enjoy your stay there.

Wakarusa, KS, USA
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: excess insurance for car hire help

You can "cut to the chase" and book with easytourireland.com--they include all the insurance you need and everything is included in the guaranteed euro price quoted at the time of booking! I and many friends have been pleased with their services.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,880 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: excess insurance for car hire help

not sure what size car you are renting but for only 11 days i would suggest just buying the insurance....if you are successful in purchasing outside insurance there will be a big hold (1500-3000 euro) put on your card until the car is returned undamaged....then, heaven forbid, you have damage, they keep your money and you have to collect from the insurance company when you return home...

if you buy the insurances you will only have a 0-100 deductible.......

so you have to decide which option works for you...good luck......

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: excess insurance for car hire help

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have already hired the car so easytourireland is not an option. And i dont mind the hold on my credit card, plenty of room. I will give questor a look though at this point I running out of time to worry about it. Annual coverage would have been great as ill be travelling to central america this winter. Quite honestly I am less concerned about the 75 dollars extra I will spend then the principle of the whole thing. Hate feeling like I'm being taken advantage of.

Tony thanks for passing on that email. It seems he didn't address at all the issue of non-Europe residents, which left me quite as confused as before.

I was considering just not getting the excess coverage but since I have never rented a car in a left side driving country before (in the past I have spent my time dodging them with a pack on my back) I figure it is as likely as not that I will hit something so I should probably be covered. Time to stop fussing with the details and start getting ready to enjoy my trip. Been ten years since I've been to Ireland and I'm excited to get there again.

Thanks everyone.

8. Re: excess insurance for car hire help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:52 pm, August 06, 2012
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: excess insurance for car hire help

received yesterday

Tony,

All relevant information can be found at our website.

http://www.insurance4carhire.com

Please note the policy conditions and restrictions in the illustration below.

However, we will cover residents from any country on our Daily Excess policy which is priced at £4.75.

We have no restrictions on any of our policies for renting in Ireland.

I hope this helps.

www.dailyexcess.com/index.asp…

10. Re: excess insurance for car hire help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 22, 2013