We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip around the Irish coast

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip around the Irish coast

Dear all,

As I am doing a road trip around (mainly) the Irish coast from April 27 until May 20, I would welcome any ideas for places/events/sights/pubs not to be missed.

The places I have on my list so far are (in no particular order) Wexford, Kilkenny, Kinsale, Cork, Dingle Peninsula, Doolin, Benbulben, Cliffs of Moher, Sligo, Clare Island, Giant's Causeway, Galway, Belfast.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this!

Many thanks,

Aurora

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip around the Irish coast

Hello. If you are doing a coastal tour do try to take the Copper Coast Road from Tramore to Dungarvan in County Waterford. Very beautiful scenery. Also, the drive to the Mizen Head lighthouse is spectacular. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip around the Irish coast

Hello again. Forgot to mention the coast road in the Burren. Great for rugged shorelines.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,724 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip around the Irish coast

You don't mention the Donegal coast at all. I'd definitely include it given the large amount of time you have.

I'd also want to get "lost" a bit out on the islands. Take a night...or two...or three....on Tory Island, or Aranmore.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip around the Irish coast

Add Dunmore East to your list www.discoverdunmore.com from there you can visit Hook Head www.hookheritage.ie

The journey planner on www.aaroadwatch.ie will give you approx times & distances.

Edited: 3:16 am, March 06, 2012
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip around the Irish coast

I'm a big fan of using the R600 from Kinsale to Clonakilty. It's one of the few roads in Ireland that really hugs the coastline (at least between Ballinspittle and Courtmacsherry).

I'd look at adding one or more of the other peninsulars in the South-West to your itinerary (Mizen, Sheep's Head, Beara, Iveragh/Ring of Kerry).

Mizen has been recommended by someone else already here. If you do find yourself down that way, try the Three Castle's Head walk (unfortunately mislocated in its Tripadvisor entry, basically, after you've left Mizen, take the first left after the Barley Cove Beach Hotel and follow the road to its end). It manages to be both accessible to people who aren't into hill walking while taking you a bit into the wilds. It takes about 90 minutes overall.

Also down that way, Glengarriff is nice, as is Garinish Island, which is visited from Glengariff.

You have Clare Island on there already and probably won't want to do another, but should weather restrict your visit, any one of the Aran Islands, plus Cape Clear Island or Sherkin are good alternatives.

New York, New York...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip around the Irish coast

Hi Aurora,

I am planning on taking a Fri-Sun vacation this September and have always wanted to drive the Coast of Ireland. Now that you have been on your vacation, would you mind providing me with some suggestions? I can see that you had much more time than I will, so I was hoping you could help me isolate what I really should spend the time to see and your favorite places that you went. Thank you so much for your help!

Tyler

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,305 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip around the Irish coast

Is this a Friday to Sunday in the ONE WEEK?

If you are coming in on a red-eye and departing approximately 48 hours later, you won't see very much.

What airport are you coming into?

8. Re: Road trip around the Irish coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 24, 2014