We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
117 posts
97 reviews
57 helpful votes
Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

We will only be in Ireland for a week and don't have time to do everything we want to do in that short period. If we have to choose ROK or Dingle Peninsula, which is best for the first time traveler to Ireland to visit? We'll be staying in Killarney.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
17,226 posts
27 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

if you staying in killarney i'd say do the ring, but to do the entire ring will take an entire day....

where will you be headed after killarney?.....if we know where you have been, and where you are going next, that might change the answer.....

the ring and dingle are so entirely different it's hard to say what would be best for you without having an idea of what your interests are.....

you are in for a treat no matter what you end up doing, well as long as it's not all spent in the rental car....

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
2. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

I'd stick with ROK just because there are many hidden gems like St Finians Bay.and Valentia Island ...and the Black Valley

http://www.kerrygems.com/ring_of_kerry.html

outdoorsireland.com/blog/…

destinationringofkerry.com/towns/st-finians-…

Nothing wrong with Dingle mind although I wouldn't necessarily agree with those on here who say its less touristy than the ROK given that visitors to Kerry who mention doing the ROK are generally redirected to the Dingle peninsula.

You'll enjoy either one whatever you choose IMO

Edited: 3:02 am, January 28, 2012
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

There is no 'best', if you only do one you will love it, whichever it is.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
131 reviews
95 helpful votes
4. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

I would probaby choose the ROK .

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
35 reviews
27 helpful votes
5. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

I'd also choose the ROK - it is more convenient to Killarney.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
117 posts
97 reviews
57 helpful votes
6. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions. We'll be coming from Dublin, making our way West. We'll be 2 nights in Killarney with our next stop being Dromoland Castle. We'll stay there 1 night before heading back to Dublin to spend the night before heading home.

My problem is I want to do EVERYTHING! And I know we don't have time for that. I feel like I'm missing out on something if I don't do it. It's hard to pick and choose. You guys are great!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,430 posts
79 reviews
87 helpful votes
7. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

Just to give my view. Dingle can be seen on the way to Clare (if the weather is decent).

Drive form Killarney to Dingle, round Slea Head back to Dingle then take the Connor Pass aiming to cross the Shannon via the Shannon Tunnel. Check into Dromoland and head to the Clare coast for the Cliffs if you must. Or cross the Shannon by ferry and see Loop head before aiming to Dromoland.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
8. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

The Dingle peninsula is very compact and has many great sites that can easily be covered in a day. To do the ROK including the hidden gems will be a very long day. Killarney National Park is full of sites and activities as well. So yes you face a dilemma. :o)

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
776 posts
72 reviews
84 helpful votes
9. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

You haven't said when you will be in Ireland. I found the ROK to be much more populated by BIG tourist buses. Keep that in mind if you will be traveling during the tourist season. Personally, I would go with Tony2's suggestion. We found Dingle to be less populated by the tourist buses and just as interesting as ROK.

Regardless, you will enjoy whatever you choose.

"So many places, so little time" :)

Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula? If you had to choose one.

i would agree also with Tony2s suggestion...

it would be great for you to see both ROK and Dingle properly but you would need more time...Dingle is absolutely beautiful but as you are staying in Killarney you be better off doing ROK and enjoying everything it has to offer...and then hopefully see a bit of Dingle on the journey...