We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

southeast Ireland

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
44 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
southeast Ireland

My husband and I will be traveling to Ireland March 16-24, 2012. For this trip, we are planning to explore the south east part of the island as we have visited many places in the west. (essentially the area in the N7/N11/N24 triangle). We will be flying into Dublin, will have a car, and are interested in sightseeing, food, music, museums and art. Even though it will be March, we are outdoorsy people.

Would welcome and appreciate any suggestions on what to do, what to see, where to stay etc. My husband would be content to sit in a pub all day but I am more of a doer and seer.

We wil be back in Dublin March 21-24 for sightseeing there and for the Shamrock Rovers game.

Thanks for your input! Happy New Year!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: southeast Ireland

Lots to do in the south east. You could travel down through Wicklow, taking in Glendalough, then Wexford, Waterford, Tipperary, Kilkenny and back to Dublin.

Lots of suggestions here: http://www.southeasttourism.ie/

Waterford might be the best bet for St Patrick's day. Down the country the parades tend to be more homely than the Dublin one, but Waterford generally puts on a good show. That means that you have to skip through Wicklow and Wexford on the first day, is that the day you arrive? It can be done, but it doesn't allow you much time in those two counties.

In Waterford you can take a look at Waterford Crystal, the Viking triangle - historical quarter with museums - (one of the museums is due to open shortly, but two are already open), drive along the coast on the Copper Coast drive, go to Dunmore East fishing village. Lots of surfing at Tramore if you fancy some activity. Sit in the lounge of the Tower Hotel and look at the river, or in Geffs pub at the Applemarket and watch the world go by (Geffs is a locals spot). Or get music at T&H Doolins, Georges Street.

Dungarvan and Lismore in the west of the county have lots to see, and Ardmore on the coast with its round tower is a Gaelic speaking area with a great coastline.

Across to Tipperary to Cahir and Cashel, if you have not been there already, or straight up the motorway to Kilkenny where you can easily spend another day as there is lots to see.

This is just a starter, the south east has lots to offer, have a look at the website and see what interests you.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: southeast Ireland

Hello. As you have only 5 days to discover the southeast, consider driving from the airport to Kilkenny, a very nice city to visit. There is a nice walking tour of the town and the castle to keep you occupied an entire day. Also, good pubs and restaurants. There is also Kells Priory, Jerpoint Abbey, and the Rock of Cashel that you can easily do as a day trip. From there you could head to County Waterford. Waterford city has a great vibe, Reginalds Tower, a nice pedestrian shopping area, and good pubs and restaurants, Lismore is a very nice village and home to Lismore Castle, Dungarvan is a nice harbor town, as is my favorite, Dunmore East, which is about 20 minutes south of Waterford city. You could take the ferry from Passage East over to County Wexford and visit Hook Head lighthouse, which is also a great place to visit. On the way to Dublin you could drive to Glendalough through County Wexford by way of Avoca. Beautiful scenery. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: southeast Ireland

Doneraile, a typo I take it?Ardmore is not an Irish speaking area, Ring-An Rinn over the road a bit is,but not Ardmore.

I notice people haven't mentioned Carlow, a very neglected area by tourists, has a wonderful new art centre- Visual, two dolmens a mock gothic romantic ruined "big house",once taken over by the old IRA who used the stsues about the old house for target practice!The gardens at Altamont,the ancient and still used old cathedral at old leighlin and holy well beside it,reputed to have a cure for eye trouble,plenty castles too.

http://www.visualcarlow.ie/

carlowcountymuseum.com/carlow-county/old-leg…

carlowcountymuseum.com/carlow-county/duckets…

carlowcountymuseum.com/carlow-county/altamou…

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlcar2/dolmen.htm

carlowcountymuseum.com/carlow-town/castles/i…

http://www.garrisonwaterside.com/history.html

Edited: 4:01 pm, January 01, 2012
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: southeast Ireland

Not to mention the beautiful village of Borris and the Blackstairs mountains in county Carlow!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: southeast Ireland

if people are outdoor-sey a walk up Mount Leinster would be nice,Borris of course has the Step house hotel and the wonderful O'Shea's of Borris-an old style pub, shop on one sie, pub on the other. Borris House has "equine trails" where you can ride around the estate of the historical Borris house, home of the McMurrough Kavanaghs.

http://www.borrishouse.com/

Borris is only a hop skip and jump away from st Mullins,with its motte and bailey,monastic ruins and river side setting

ttp://www.carlowcountymuseum.com/carlow-county/st-mullins2/index.html

Graiguenamanagh is also close at hand and the historical Duiske abbey is well worth a stop

waterfordireland.ie/regional-highlights/kilk…

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: southeast Ireland

Hello again. This is the biggest problem with Ireland, well that and the very high fees for car rental. You can discover fantastic things to do and see in every county, and can easily spend 5 days in just one exploring all there is. Go to www.discoverireland.ie for ideas, but no matter where you go, you will have a wonderful time seeing beautiful country and meeting the nicest people on earth.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: southeast Ireland

Harvey - yes, I was mentally wandering along the coast and came unstuck somewhere between the two!

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: southeast Ireland

A visit to Dunmore East would also be a possibility www.waterford-dunmore.com

While in Dunmore East you would also have easy access to the Hook Peninsula www.hookheritage.ie

The route planner on www.aaroadwatch.ie may also be helpful,use it as an approx guide to times & distances for your journey

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: southeast Ireland

Nursedude,

LOL We spent 5 days in Dingle-- not enough! 5 days in Galway-- not enough! etc. etc. etc. there is always something else to see and do, more people to talk to, another pub to visit More sites to explore, more music to listen to, No matter how long we visit, it's never enough. :) So we keep going back.

And then I want to go back to favorite places again, and explore new places, and so it goes.

Ellen

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
44 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: southeast Ireland

Amazing suggestions! Thank you! I wish we had more time but that is the reason we always return - always something and some place new to discover.

We are going to arrive in Dublin on 3/16 and and I thought about heading to Kilkenny and explore that area until 3/19 when we'll head to Waterford for a few days and nights then back to Dublin. But should we just spend those few days in the Wicklow/Wexford area? Our "must see" list is not as long as it has been on our previous trips.

My husband's birthday is 3/17 and mine is 3/19 and we are just looking so forward to celebrating our 40th birthdays in Ireland! Thank you again for the wonderful insight!