We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

Hello,

My husband and I leave for vacation March 12-22. Any suggestions for an itinerary?? We land in Dublin on the 13 of March and have 7 night B&B vouchers than the last 2 nights in Cabra Castle. After looking I think it will be: Day 1- Dublin exploring than the night in Howth

Day 2- drive down and explore, night in Waterford?

Day 3- explore, night in Cork.

Day 4- explore, night in Killarney

Day 5- St Patricks Day, explore, night in Killarney

Day 6 explore, night in Limerick???, Ennis??, Galway???

Day 7- explore, night in Galway

Day 8- explore, night in Cabra Castle

Day 9- explore, night in cabra Castle

Day 10- Home

We want to see and do everything possible.. Ring of Kerry, Castles, Cliffs of Moher, the Aran Islands if possible and have a great celebration for St Patricks Day. Any suggestions would be great!!!!!

Thanks, Patti

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

Hi Hb. I'd stay near, but not in Waterford. Then I'd maybe make a detour and see the Rock of Cashel and on to Cork. Day 6- Galway is a long way. I'd go Limerick for clubbing, or Ennis for pubbing. What time is your flight home? Cabra is a good bit from the airport. Cheers.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

Thanks for the reply Boru,

Our flight from Dublin leaves at 1150. I was told that Cabra Castle is about 2 hours from the airport. Does this seem like a realistic route? I have been pouring over books and trip advisor for suggestions. Where is the best place to spend St Patricks Day for a good day/night with lots of fun and pubbing??

Thanks

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

Hi. So if you're aware of the 2 hrs. from Cabra, go for it. I haven't been there on 3/17, but I imagine Killarney would be fine for that. I found this discussing last year's parade. It's from The Kingdom. Cheers. archives.tcm.ie/thekingdom/…story16576.asp

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,724 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

Patti,

Day 6. Limerick, Ennis or Galway?

If you are into Clubbing then Limerick is the place. Lots of good bars, good craic.

If my sums are right then you're in Limerick the night of the 18th. This is during the Springfest http://www.limerickspringfest.com/index.htm

Should be a WILD night in Limerick. Book your accomodation fast and sit back for a lot of fun.

I would suggest you just go with the flow with regards to entertainment. Limerick City is not big. Its only about 10 minutes walk from one end of the entertainment district to the other (Roughly Lock Quay to Glentworth Street)so you can wander around, stay in which ever pub takes your fancy.

For very central accommodation, the Sarsfield Bridge Hotel is best www.tsbh.ie/ Jury's Inn is also fairly central but doesn't get great reviews here:

www.jurysdoyle.com

Have a wonderful holiday.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

Thanks all,

Do you think my general route is OK?? Please let me know if you think We should skip one part and go somewhere else. As for St Patricks Day, Is there a "best" place to be? We have the T&C B&B vouchers and hotels I guess don't accept them so I would like to stay at some great farmhouses and B&Bs along the way,any ideas??? I checked out all the links and Limerick looks like fun. I am soo excited as it our first trip to Ireland and We want to experience everything but not rush too much. My husband will be driving so I know it will be a bit slower journey. Do you think we need reservations everywhere or just on the 17th?? I would appreciate an experts opinion on any and everything...

Thanks again, Patti

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,724 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

Hi Patti,

I had a look at the Town and Country B&Bs in Limerick City and there are a few in Limerick City:

Glen Eagles in Vereker Gardens, 2 minutes walk from town but a previous poster thought it a bit dated. Ideal location.

Avondoyle, Dooradoyle. In the city suburbs (Cork side) but about 15 minutes drive from the city action.

Armada Lodge, 10 minutes drive from the city, on the Shannon side of town. On a busy road. Nice area.

Santa Cruz. Nice Area. Next to the Woodfield House Hotel (Guinness Barman of the Year 2005) Restaurant. Nice area. 5 minutes drive (15 minute walk) from town. Its sort-of on a sort-of busy road. Its on a corner going into Highfield Estate.

Coonagh Lodge is very close to an airfield. Quiet country area, except for the planes taking off, but they usually don't get active until after about 9.00am. About 5 minutes drive beyond Armada Lodge.

Avondale on the Old Cratloe Road. In a country area. It would probably take over 15 minutes to get to town.

Sandvilla on the Monaleen Road. This is about 12 minutes drive from town on the Dublin side.

All of the times are estimated and will change depending on traffic.

Take a look at the thread

"Eating, drinking, things to do - ideas please?" for further ideas of things to do in Limerick.

Hope this helps.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

Thanks for the info... I looked up those I could find and Glen Eagles sounds like a great location. Is Glin too far out?? The Old Castle House looks nice.

We are 36 and 40 years old and like to have fun like hiking, biking,fishing,

horsebackriding and just exploring in the day and then have a nice meal some drinks, conversation and good trad music would be great. We love to explore our surroundings and just hang out and get to know the people.

Patti

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
63 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

On your way to Waterford take the road that takes you to Glendalough. Through the Wicklow Mountains. Really beautiful valley with nice round tower, monastery, churchyard. One of the best round towers you'll see in a great setting. Didn't see Cork, but Killarney is nice. The ring drive is well worth the time. There is also Muckross house and grounds and Torc waterfall that is just a short hike off the road . The Rock of Cashel is really breathtaking if you can plan one of your drives by it. Blarney is a neat castle even if you don't want to wait in line to kiss the stone(no line in Feb. when we went). And Bunratty castle by Limerick has a banquet that is very fun, with waiters and waitress in period costumes and live period music. The castle has been restored so you get to see what one looked like before they were distroyed. You'll have fun where ever you end up because you'll find the people great everywhere.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,724 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

Patti - if you are over 30 then Glin is ideal. The Castle is lovely (I've seen the outside but not stayed). The location is lovely. Glin is a lovely town. It is close to Foynes www.shannonregiontourism.ie/ individual_results.asp?sID=12147

Listowel is on the way from Killarney to Glin www.heritagetowns.com/listowel.html and was home to one of Ireland's great writers John B. Keane. It also has a writers week later on in the year. It is a great town for craic.

You could also get the ferry from Tarbert to Killimer in Clare and drive up to the cliffs of Moher (www.shannonferries.com)

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland vacation for St Patricks day, please help!!! :)

Well I don't quite know how to take your comment about if We're over 30..... We are a "young" middle age couple...:) How far is Glin from downtown Limerick. What I'm really asking is, Is it a safe drive if we are lit??? Well, I have soo much information that I am sooo much more confused. I really don't know where to spend St Patricks Day... Cork, Killarney,or Limerick. I want the biggest parade and party, But I need to end up in Cavan on the 20th and still see everything possible. One good thing is 2 recommendations for the Rock of cashel makes it a must see. Anyway...

Thanks again everyone and any ideas are warmly welcome.

Patti