We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking the train or a the bus

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
34 posts
taking the train or a the bus

Hello!

my partner and i are taking a trip in august and we are not old enough to rent a car so we are going to take the train or the bus to get around. i am wondering which part of the trip should i take a bus for and which one should i take the train. also, if i should book the tickets ahead of time or when we get there.

here are the places we are going

Dublin to Galway

Galway to Cork

Cork to Dublin.

thanks!

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: taking the train or a the bus

You can do all routes noted by bus. Rail is also an option between Dublin & Galway and Cork & Dublin. Galway to Cork by rail is possible but involves 2 changes of train - bus is the only real option in this instance.

Train is generally somewhat more expensive than bus, though you can get some good off-peak deals by rail if you book in advance. Personally, I prefer rail but you should check out the costs and see what suits your pocket.

For rail tickets, timetables etc, see www.irishrail.ie and for bus see www.buseireann.ie. Note that you can normally only book rail online about 1 month in advance. I'm not sure about bus.

You can also use the Gobus service between Dublin and Galway as an alternative to Bus Eireann - it's quite competitive price-wise. See www.gobus.ie.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
16,645 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: taking the train or a the bus

City link is another option for all apart from the Cork Dublin stage which I would recommend the train for unless you want to stop off at Cahir on the way up.

www.citylink.ie/index.php…

Edited: 12:06 pm, June 07, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
34 posts
3. Re: taking the train or a the bus

thanks so much! City link seems the way to go.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
4. Re: taking the train or a the bus

If you do wish to use the train for any part of your travels in Ireland, this might help, shouldyou opt to buy online:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k45104…

5. Re: taking the train or a the bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 03, 2012