We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish Wedding- Gift Question

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Irish Wedding- Gift Question

Not exactly a travel-related question, but I am sure someone here can help!

My husband and I are attending a wedding in Ireland this summer in County Louth. We both come from an area in the US where is it customary (preferred, really) to give monetary gifts for a wedding rather than items from the registry. Is this considered rude in Ireland? We don't want to do something that is considered tacky and risk offending someone. We could easily have something shipped to the couple from their registry, but we found that when we got married (all of 6 months ago) cash was the most helpful gift we received. We just want to do what is appropriate. Thank you for feedback.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish Wedding- Gift Question

Hi Lolablue

Congrats on your own recent wedding! To be honest I would imagine that the couple will be just thrilled you are making the journey to celebrate their special day with them.

If you do feel you want to give a gift - money is generally a very welcome wedding gift here in Ireland too.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish Wedding- Gift Question

Nowadays it is perfectly acceptable to give monetary gifts to Irish couples. We are attending a wedding of an Irish couple next month, and because they live abroad, many guests are giving cheques.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,552 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish Wedding- Gift Question

LolaBlue, would a gift voucher be okay? I don't think the couple getting married would mind getting money as a present but rather than putting bank notes into an envelope (which I think would be okay if it came from a close relative) a gift voucher might be more "elegant"...

Check out www.one4all.ie/.

I'm sure that newly-weds in Ireland would appreciate any monetary help they can get, hubby and I did certainly did when we got married all of 28 years ago!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish Wedding- Gift Question

Lola

Could I offer another suggestion - a small token gift from your homeland and perhaps a gift cheque too. You can get a gift cheque in any of the banks when you arrive - rather than stuffing a wad of notes into a card.

I am only hitting "double figures" in my marriage later this year, but my personal experience was that I cherish the "physical" gifts I received for our wedding. I too received monetary gifts - which have been long spent on household wares and setting up home. However the gifts I received have special memories and significance for me. I have a set of crystal glasses I received from an Aunt who passed away a few years ago, and they are a lovely reminder of her. Another Aunt who gave us a monetary gift wouldnt be too happy to know that the generous monetary gift she gave us has been retired to our attic - a beautiful Samsonite suitcase we bought with her money which we thought would be a good investment. It weighs almost as much as weight restrictions nowadays!

If you could take a piece of local pottery/artwork or the likes that they will have when the money they receive has been long spent.

That and, as Dubfam stated, the fact that you are travelling to help them celebrate their marriage will be what their memories of your gift will be made of :-)

Bet in a few years - you will cherish the "physical" gifts you received too! Congratulations to you all :-)

5. Re: Irish Wedding- Gift Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, May 24, 2012