We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PLEASE HELP - First time in Ireland

NJ
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
PLEASE HELP - First time in Ireland

Hello Everyone, I will be traveling to Ireland in August for 8 days (flying in to Shannon). Can someone please let me know the absolute best places to see (my husband loves photography and we would like to know the most scenic - mountains, lakes, sheep - areas as we plan to go from Shannon to Dublin (we fly out of Dublin on the 8th day). Any suggestions for an itinerary would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks, all!

Darlene

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PLEASE HELP - First time in Ireland

Hi DarleneT...I can only suggest what I've seen and for good photo ops and scenic drives I would highly recommend Dingle Penninsula (Slea Head drive), Ring of Kerry (Gap of Dunloe, Moll's Gap)...you'll have "lots" of mountains, lakes & sheep doing this itinerary.

Also, Rock of Cashel, Cliffs of Mohr & Burren. I've also read many posts on here regarding the Glendalough Valley which will be on your way (I believe) to Dublin.

I'm doing Galway area starting next week, so I'll do some reporting on that...but I'm sure some other great trip advisors on here (and they are all great & helpful) can fill in some other ideas. Either way, you will love Ireland and it is extremely scenic!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PLEASE HELP - First time in Ireland

CruiseKing has mentioned Glendalough and I certainly advocate spending some time in the Wickow mountains. If you think you don't have enough time for the southwest you could make your way towards Glendalough via Cashel and Kilkenny and Bunclody. If you like, I could suggest a particular route from Kilkenny. But maybe you will have enough time for the southwest. Galway, of course, is beautiful, as is Lough Derg.

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PLEASE HELP - First time in Ireland

Darlene, I'd second Dingle in Co Kerry - sounds right up ur alley and extremely scenic. Dingle town is also very nice to stay in, fantastic food and good traditional music too so it's a great sample of Ireland...plus it's not too far from Shannon so it'd be a good spot to head directly for.