We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental -- Pick-up Dublin, Drop-off Shannon. Tips?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental -- Pick-up Dublin, Drop-off Shannon. Tips?

We are 2 couples visiting Ireland the end of May 2011. You have all helped me set up our itinerary and now I need to arrange for a car rental for the 10 days. We arrive at Dublin Airport at two different times of the day -- one couple early in the day and the other mid afternoon. I'm thinking it is better to take public transportation to the hotel (Central), spend the 2 nts and then pick up the car in Dublin if possible. Of course, we could go back to the airport if necessary. FYO our first stop is Kilkenny.

We are packing with carryons only a stick shift is fine. I am looking for suggested sites to book at and any other suggestions you wise people may have.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Killarney Tour & Taxi Service
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
VIP Chauffeur
Taxis & Shuttles
Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental -- Pick-up Dublin, Drop-off Shannon. Tips?

Budget allowed city central pick-ups for same cost as Dublin airport. When I tried the same scenario with Dan Dooley, there was a huge difference in rental prices. Budget charges a 28 euro surcharge for both airport and city central pick-ups, and their rental charge was the same for each pick-up location. I have to call tomorrow morning to confirm details, but perhaps worth checking your dates to see how the pricing works out.

Agreed that you will not have any use for the car while in Dublin. Very compact and walkable city.

Edited: 2:31 pm, April 03, 2011
West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental -- Pick-up Dublin, Drop-off Shannon. Tips?

Due to the extreme difficulty of driving in Dublin PLUS learning to drive on the left hand side of the road, it is highly recommended that you head back out to the airport to pick up your rental car. The motorways leading from the airport are a great place to start with your driving.

Check out Journey through Ireland as a possibility to arrange your car hire. I've used them four times out of four trips to Ireland and have already booked them for my next two trips. They're a US based company that arranges car rentals with Hertz. I've found them to have excellent rates that were better than booking directly with Hertz and inclusive of everything except Super CDW. I know that you can pick up at DUB and drop off at Shannon for no additional charge. Of course you'll want to compare rates to be sure they have the best deal for your dates. You can Google to find their website (I'm typing this from my phone and don't have the address handy.)

Keith

Reno, NV
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental -- Pick-up Dublin, Drop-off Shannon. Tips?

We did this same thing a few years back. The cab fare back to Dublin airport was worth it as you're already out of the Dublin mess and it's easy to be on your way. I usually rent from Alamo. There was no extra fee at that time and I did the whole process on line.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental -- Pick-up Dublin, Drop-off Shannon. Tips?

Here's the website for Journey through Ireland: http://www.irelandtouring.com/

Keith

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental -- Pick-up Dublin, Drop-off Shannon. Tips?

Keith, I just got an instant quote from that website. It is comparable to most of my other quotes. The lower rates I am seeing are Europcar and Kemwel. I think rates are higher than ever. My quotes are $200+ higher than last year for less rental days.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental -- Pick-up Dublin, Drop-off Shannon. Tips?

Thanks Keith. I will check out this site today!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental -- Pick-up Dublin, Drop-off Shannon. Tips?

Thank you all for your tips! Based on your recommendations we will pick up the car at the airport instead of in the city. Good idea. Thanks buds!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental -- Pick-up Dublin, Drop-off Shannon. Tips?

After poking around for the past few hours I have come up with the following information. I ended up booking with Dooley Car Rental (dandooley.com). I spoke with a very sweet lady at their toll free number (800-331-9301) and she recommended Excess Waiver coverage on the CDI. She said she doesn't work on commission but makes sure all of her family and friends have it. Thus said I figured I was her "friend" and so asked her if she knew a Promotion Code since I noticed a spot for one. She said the only one she knew was Do Chara which saved me 10%. I think I saved almost $75 using it. So, that is my thank you for all of your help should you choose to use it, Grasshoppers!

9. Re: Car Rental -- Pick-up Dublin, Drop-off Shannon. Tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, October 25, 2012