We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

Utah
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

Hi, I just seen you post some info on clothes for pubs. I was wondering what I and my husband can get away with in the way of shoes for Pubs, nice resturant and walking around at sites that are confy!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,796 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

Greenflower - suddenly I seem to have morphed into Fashion Expert!! If you could only see me, lol :o)

What he and me usually do is have a good pair of hikers that cover all sorts of walking and casual and then a nice pair of shoes that cover everything else.

At a pinch, you could purchase over here, if you saw something nice.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

Greenflower, it seems to me that you worry a bit too much. Unless you opt to go to a very snazzy restaurant (in which case you might want to dress up anyway) you will be fine with whatever you're wearing unless you got absolutely dirty walking around wet fields or paths. Advice: keep some baby wipes in the car (for hands and face), some kitchen towels (for everything) and some hygienic wipes (for shoes etc.). All of these you can pick up cheaply enough in the supermarkets here. Just give yourselves a quick wipe (lol) and you'll be grand! A friend of mine who does a lot of hiking all over the place keeps a spare T-shirt, clean trowsers, socks and shoes in her boot so she can just change discreetly wherever. Honestly, the dress code in Ireland is quite relaxed.

Utah
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

Clauds and Bean thanks for info. Clauds yes I am a worry wart, my husband tells me all the time haha

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

Greenflower, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be prepared! Keep the questions coming.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

Just don't wear the "white sneakers", or you'll definitely "stand out" as a tourist!!

Funny story: Last year we stopped in a convenience store in Midleton to get directions to the Rock of Cashel. The 2 ladies inside said we were just screaming "American". I aksed why, since we were both wearing corduroy slacks, v-neck sweaters & "brown" hiker type shoes. She never did say exactly why...just that they both knew we were Americans. I'm still puzzled by that, but we all had such a good, good laugh that day!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

That's funny. I can spot us too. I've had people ask me how I knew when it was confirmed. It's hard to explain. The outfit of course is big, but so are the mannerisms. Good point about the white runners. Cheers.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
612 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

Hmmmm, I am picturing beanalainn now as the new Irish version of Trinny and Susannah...what would the Irish translation of "What Not to Wear" be, I wonder...

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,796 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

"What Not to Wear" would be whatever I'm wearing lol!!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

Now I'm trying to remember if I was tan (I am a Florida girl, you know) when I was there last year. That would be a good clue if in Ireland in "February"...

But I can't see how cords for slacks & v-neck sweater would give me away...especially if I wasn't wearing the ubiquitous "white sneakers/runners" for Americans! Hmmm, it is a mystery. The 2 ladies couldn't tell me why they knew...just laughed and said they knew!

Clare
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bean; what kind of shoes for Ireland?

The Translation

Rudaí Nach Ceart Caitheamh le Beanálainn

Sounds Catchy

Beanalainn a new job presenting on TG Ceathair??